PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Need some inspiration!

Hey y'all!

I couldn't think of anywhere better to post this awkward post, it didn't really fit under the Health board :confused:

I've just had a food intolerance test done and am now on the elimination process, and have opted to eliminate straight away for the next 6 weeks, after which, will be introducing certain foods back in gradually.

Therefore for the next few weeks I can't eat any products containing any of these ingredients;

wheat
egg
potato
soya
sugar
tomato
cows milk
kiwi
chocolate
cabbage
pineapple
MSG

.................oh and I'm vegetarian! :rolleyes:

I went into the Health food shop and got some sour dough, rice pasta and rice milk, nut bars etc, but it's all very expensive stuff. I've also managed to get some recipes out of Gillian McKeiths recipe book (thank god for that woman).............BUT wondered if anyone else had gone through this, or anyone had some yummy recipes for things to eat, ideally that can be made for the whole family and not just me.

Thanks for your help guys, this is a real toughie for me! :o But at least I'll be a healthy chick :rolleyes:
Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nowt like killing the diet in one go :rotfl:

Roasted veggies ie peppers, onions, courgettes,
    Mix with pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, pine nuts
    Add a sprinkle of goats cheese/or sheeps cheese

serve with rice or mix with your rice pasta

(I add chicken into OH's - I'm also a veggie and lactose intolerant!)

or just a diet of wine and beer??!!!

Good luck and hope you feel better for it!!

Don't forget to drink lots of water to wash all the "stuff" out of your body!

edited to add: as the stuff is expensive, if the whole family isn't doing the elimination diet, it might be worth just cooking them some normal pasta etc and mixing together at the end
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've never used rice milk in anything, it's always worried me a little - how do you milk rice :confused:

Can you let me know how you get on???!!
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think rice milk tastes ok, especially if you have it with rice krispies (I assume you can eat these?) I also love ryvita, which should suit you too. You can put salad toppings on with cottage cheese or goats cheese for a snack or lunch. Sainsburys do a St Helen's Farm goats cheese which is packaged just like cheddar and tastes like it too, although it is white and not yellow. A lot of packaging nowadays will tell you which products are free from certain things too.
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    See if you can get hold of any of the Carol Vorderman detox diet books with recipes in. We're vegan, dh can't have caffeine (so chocolate is out), and we lived wheat-free for a number of months a while back (elimination diet), and there were so many recipes in the Detox Diet book we could use (I picked it up in a charity shop!).

The detox diet recipes are vegan (apart from honey), wheat-free, restricted potato, caffeine free, soya free . . . so looking at your list, there'll probably be lots there you can use.

Off the top of my head, you could try googling for detox diet recipes?

The McDougall diet has a lot of followers, so there should be plenty of recipes available online. It's a vegan, low-fat diet. Here's some recipes to get you started: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/4195/page4.htm

Hopefully you'll be able to find something to adapt to suit your needs.

Dove's Farm do lots of wheat-free flours. You can get 'egg-replacers' such as Orgran 'No-Egg' and Ener-G Egg Replacer to use in baking (the latter is best and can be used for quiche and such like, but more expensive), but you'd have to check that they don't contain any other ingredients you're eliminating.

Try https://www.goodnessdirect.com Free delivery over £30, and the products are clearly labelled for allergies, special diets, etc. They have excellent customer service, and the staff are friendly if you phone up for more info.

The real difficult things to eliminate are soya and wheat - they're in everything! Tomatoes and potatoes will also prove a toughy, I think, because they're the basis of so many recipes.

Best of luck anyway, and I hope that something in my above ramblings will prove useful!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    I'm been wheat free for 3 yrs, based on results of having skin !!!!!! allergy test. I made decision to eat as natural as poss and avoid processed replacement foods such as bourbon biscuits made from potato flour !

I have porridge feast (recipe below) for brekkie.
    mostly just don't eat bread much any more but some good wheat bread alternatives are Stamp Collection sliced deli bread - £1.39 for 5 slices, butet much less bread than before.
    also look out for whole rye and sunflower seed pumperknickel at ALDI for about 70p a pack of approx 10 slices.
    I eat lots and lots of soups and stews.
    suugest bulk cooking brown rice and freezing in portions
    oat cakes and humous make a nice snack.

are you able to have fruit sugar?
    lots of recipes at the fruisana site.

porridge feast

slice a banana in frying pan
    add sprinkle of seeds ( I use Shelled Hemp, sunflower, + pumpkin)
    1 measure of oats
    2 measures of milk - or alternative
    1 measure water
    ground cinnamon

cook slowly.
    I have it with big blob of live yog.

it's also lovely cooked with apples, prunes, dates. the trick is to cook the oats with the fruit to release their sweetness.

enjoy !
    -
    blue-kat
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    How about beans and lentils? Have a look at THIS site, they have hundreds of recipes for them, just click on the type of bean etc. and it will bring up a list of recipes, all veggie, mostly vegan but you'll have to sort through for wheat, soya etc. free

You could also have a look through the recipe index on here (through the collections sticky or in my signature) the mexican bean thingy should work for you but you'll have to substitute something for the tinned tomatoes, HM vegetable stock (so you know it only has things you are OK with) maybe?? When the stock is made you could wizz it in the blender so it's tinned tom consistancy?? Then you could eat the rest of the whizzed up stock as soup.

I've posted a recipe somewhere for Feta, aubergine and courgette pie, not sure what you could use instead of pastry? Maybe you could just eat the filling and the rest of the family could have it in pastry. I'll see if I can find the recipe. EDIT - it's HERE

There is a tuna and 3 bean pasta salad somewhere too, I see if I can find that. EDIT: it's HERE, you have to miss the tom puree out of the dressing.

Obviously there is goats cheese salad, Is greek yoghurt made with goats milk?????

Good luck, a few years ago I had to just cut out wheat and cows milk and I found that difficult (but I didn't have this site or the cooking skills to help me) you'd be surprised the amount of processed food contains milk powder.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    savvy, further to my last post, I was having a look through my Carol Vorderman book - quite a lot of the recipes do contain tomato. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can type up a couple of the other recipes.

I had another thought last night - there's a sub-group of Buddhists who don't eat vegetables in the nightshade family (eg, potatoes and tomatoes). Since they're also dairy and meat-free, that could be another route to look for, for recipe inspiration, but I can't for the life of me remember what they call themselves!

Experiment with the variety of grains and pulses out there. Non-wheat pastas can be expensive - look into rice noodles as an alternative. Indian cookery could be a good bet, since there's plenty of option for veggie options, and dairy is rarely used (and can be replaced with things like coconut milk).

Another note: if you're avoiding cow's milk, you'll also need to look for ingredients like lactose, whey and caseine (sp?).
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • smartiepants
    smartiepants Posts: 509 Forumite
    I have a lovely DIP recipe for you, very SIMPLE and delicious for anyone.
    1 jar roasted peppers (Lidl)
    1 block feta cheese (Ewes milk)
    1 clove garlic
    1 red chilli
    olive oil
    Blitz everything in a blender and serve with crudites or ryvita.

It is simply delicious. Good luck and hope you feel better very soon.
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Murtle wrote:
    Nowt like killing the diet in one go :rotfl:

or just a diet of wine and beer??!!!
    LMAO cheers Murtle, lager came up which I already knew I had problems with, and luckily white/red wine and vodka was clear!!!!! :j :j
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • KTFrugal
    KTFrugal Posts: 74 Forumite
    I did this diet too and found the hardest thing was finding a flour substitute. It's nigh impossible to make a decent bread at home without wheat flour, so this is one thing I splurged on.

For other home bakes, I used buckwheat (pancakes and waffles, straight substitution) and rice flour: 3 1/2 oz rice flour to every 4oz wheat flour stated in the recipe.

Barley flour is very heavy and has a strong flavour and unappealing gray colour, so it didn't feature much.

For biscuits, you can mix cornflour with your rice flour to get a lighter result. Once you find a combo that suits, you can mix it up in a big batch and use that.

And thank the heavens for oatcakes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport