PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Boodle - I agree so much with you about the joy of feeding a baby. It's such a treasured memory. It reminded me of another (life-saving :D) idea that a La Leche leader once said to me about that middle-of-the-night time when one's baby has woken for yet another feed. She said that she used to curl up with her child and think of all the other women around the globe who had been woken up, or had had to stop what they were doing, to feed their baby at that same moment in time. She said it made her feel really connected to other people who would understand.

My five pleasures for today:

1. Getting the rest of my clothes dried on the line while we were out.

2. DS2 sneaking cuddles seemingly at every available moment throughout today.

3. Sorting out a new Abel and Cole delivery for next week because I will get a £10 discount off the next order after that. It's been ages since we've had a veggiebox.

4. Buying a cheap hand blender stick-thing at Mr S (the last one died) so that I can get souping end-of-week veg again.

5. DS1 showing me the poster he'd been working on all day at his voluntary job - it looks fabulous.

Sweet dreams
    B xxx
  • billy858
    billy858 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Feeling much better today. Caterina, Broomstick, Honey and Olliebeak many thanks for your kind and wise words. The subject matter is 13 years old so I had better get used to dealing with this kind of behaviour. My friend said it gets better when they reach 20!!!!
    Anyway, mine for yesterday,
    1. DH bringing me coffee in bed in the morning.
    2. Homemade pepper quiche for tea.
    3. Trying a new recipe for sticky toffee pudding.
    4. Having time to finish reading my book.
    5. Watching the birds on the feeder while doing the washing up.
    Love to all. X
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Good m-o-r-n-ing all :wave: - I'm really enjoying these lighter mornings, well at least for the next few weeks till they go dark again :). This is the time of year that I really do appreciate working from home-based office.

Thank you all very much for your lovely comments on my postings. But I do have to confess that my memory is quite rubbish - got to that stage in life where I can't do anything without lists :o. I open 'our thread' twice on two different tabs (side by side), then do my 'reply' on one tab while 'scrolling/reading down the posts' on the other tab.

floss2 - how lovely that your OH takes the time to watch the swans and then share their progress with you by text. And :j on the wedding dress bargain.
    culpepper - well done on the outdoor drying yesterday and enjoying the outdoor warmth while doing your cabbages.
    zippychick - good batch of soup making there - never used pumpkin myself, but we l-u-r-v-e carrot soup. Glad to hear your kitty is picking up now - ours had to be pts back in April and we still miss him - still think we can hear him 'sighing' occasionally.
    Boodle - ((((hugs)))) for you and hope the stresses ease off you for a while. I too used to stand back and admire my line of washing when my kids were young - especially the cloth nappies blowing in the fresh air ;). Well done you on the breast-feeding :T.
    SunnyGirl - lol at your No.3 :rotfl: - 3 and 7 after teens is a doddle ;).
    Caterina - Wow - yet another of your early morning cooking/baking sessions ;). And :j on making the effort for the aerobics class after all.
    Knitty78 - (((hugs))) on not feeling very well yesterday. Don't worry about having to buy your brekkie/lunch, I'm pretty sure that all your OS stuff more than balanced things up :grin:. Hope your soup turns out well :).
    Haribo - Wow - you've had a thunderstorm :eek: - in October! :rotfl: at your dog with the pumpkins.
    Boodle - congrats on managing to read your book for 10 mins before being disturbed in the bath :rolleyes:.
    ACEY - Well done on keeping your boys busy with craft stuff - this particular half-term can be difficult with the shorter days and (normally) cooler weather. When I think of the freedom that I, and my friends, enjoyed in the 50's/early 60's, I am so happy that I had my childhood then and not now :). Hope you all enjoy the Centre for Alternative Technology today :grin:.
    scotrae - nothing like your own bed after a holiday, is there ;)! Sorry to hear about your redundancy - yet another of life's great challenges :rolleyes: (been there myself and it made me very :mad:) - hope all goes well for you and your family.
    Broomstick - awww I've now got tears in my eyes :cry:. I wish I'd been told that thought about connecting with other women all over the world, when I was younger. It felt like the loneliest thing in the world at the time - especially when your OH was snoring away on the other side of the bed! Well done on the veggiebox discount :T.
    billy858 - now I wonder how we managed to guess that 'the subject matter' is 13 :grin: - hormones a-plenty! Too young to be considered an adult and too old to be considered a child - 'poor woe-be-gone' teens always want to be both whichever suits them best at the time ;). Remember Harry Enfield's 'Kevin the teenager' - we all laughed our socks off at him, but he so accurately portrayed. You are about to get onto the 'rollercoaster ride' of your lifetime - but, believe me, the day eventually comes when it's over and you can look at the adult that emerges from it while thinking proudly to yourself 'I nurtured that person'. But for now (((((BIG HUGS))))) to be going on with :grin:.

Mine for yesterday are

1. Phone call from DS1 (the one on the fishing trip to Scotland) to say they were on a drive to Tyndrum to the Green Welly Shop and were heading for Glencoe - enjoying the break from fishing (but not catching). I'm so envious, just wish I was with them as it's my favourite part of UK.

2. Phone call from DD - feeling a little better and her ex-OH had taken the two youngest out for the day as it was his birthday and he'd taken the day off work.

3. Spent time sewing nametapes on new uniform for dgs1 for next week and altering 2 pairs of trousers that were too long.

4. Pork chops, mash with carrot and swede for evening meal last night (had been defrosted for the night before but not used as we went to DD's).

5. Chatting to my sister on the phone for a while with ideas for mum's 80th birthday in Feb. We're doing the catering between us - can't believe I've committed myself to doing that again so soon after last weekend's exploits :rotfl:. She also had news of an old family friend that I haven't seen for around 36 years. She works in a large 'department-type store' in our home-town and gets to see just everybody that we've ever known!

6. Spent an hour de-cluttering in the bedroom :o - disgusted about how untidy/messy it had become. Had a bit of a shifty around to make more space and discovered things I had planned for LAST Christmas and then lost. Lots of [STRIKE]crap[/STRIKE] stuff for the recycling bin. Will need to finish it all off today :).

7. Lazy evening meal for tonight - oven fish and chips out of the freezer!

8. Really looking forward to Emmerdale and Corrie tonight :grin:.

Hope we all have a great day and have a lovely weekend to look forward to :grin: - love Ollie xxx
  • Moning to everyone, and big hugs to those who need them. My 5 for today are

1. finish the ironing. read the new ironing thread on here, lots of peeps don't like it.Always knew i was strange.

2. Making pizza dough for freezer.:money:

3. nsd staying at home. Friends house tonight for bit of a party with her kids. Will make apple tart to take with me.

4. try and get son's cookery book finished today, taken longer to do than first thought.

5. Do a bit of research on here, re wine making and veg growing. Made myself a list to work down on my mse way of life. Have managed to make my way down it, only a few things left now. Only taken nearly 2 years, baby steps...:j

have a great os day everyone, enjoy reading every post, and getting to know everyone a little better.:A
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Broomstick - that is such a lovely thought. Luckily we are through the waking during the night phase, though! With having DD2 in late spring, it wasn't too bad because they were short nights, whereas I had DD1 in November and those nights seemed to last forever!

Olliebeak - thanks for the hugs. I am feeling a bit lighter today so I am hoping there will be no raining on parades today ;):D And lucky DS, I say! We love it visiting that area too. My memory of the Green Welly Shop is when I was heavily pregnant with DD1, we had been driving for ages and I was busting for a pee so badly that poor DH had to practically carry me from the car cos I frightened to get up :rotfl: Aw sweet memories! :p :rotfl:
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,133 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We didn't go to Wales today as bigger son woke up with tummy ache. I think he gets very nervous about being travel sick - as soon as I said we would postpone the trip, he never mentioned the tummy ache again!

5 for today....

1) Had a nice phone call from my sister this morning who reminded me, although I feel ridiculously low and tired at the moment, that I have felt worse than this and I will probably perk up again in a few days.

2) Smaller son's tooth fell out! Its the first one that he has lost :-)

3) Went round the 2nd hand shops and found him a little silver pot to put the tooth in under his pillow (his tooth is minute, like a grain of rice!)

4) Went to W1lkos to get wine making stuff so I can bottle the wine I made in 2007....

5) Going to go to mum and dad's house in a minute. M and D are on holiday so my sister is staying there to look after the animals (sheep, pigs, poultry, insane dog and cat) My sons are coming to and we're going to WALK TO THE PUB!!!! It really has taken my mind back, I used to go up there when I was about 18! They live in the middle of nowhere and its a 2 mile pitch black, narrow lane so it'll be a real adventure for the boys.

Best wishes to all.
    L
    P.S Wales tomorrow, with a bit of luck!
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Good evening all :D

Hugs to anyone who is feeling down at the moment it's a good idea to come on this thread and count blessings - it certainly helps me when I'm having a bad day.

My five for today are:

1. Being ridiculously excited once I found out that my fave tv show - Spooks - is back on next Wednesday ;):p:D:j

2. Having a lovely couple of hours with my friend this morning - lots of cuppa's & laughing.

3. Went to a local garden centre just for a look round - Managed to resist buying anything amazingly :money:

4. Waking up at 8.45am worried that we'd all be late & realising that it is the school/college holidays :rotfl:

5. Half an hour with the paper after our meal tonight - very rare so all the more enjoyable.

I hope that everyone has a pleasant evening.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 October 2009 at 8:06PM
    billy858 wrote: »
    ...The subject matter is 13 years old so I had better get used to dealing with this kind of behaviour. My friend said it gets better when they reach 20!!!!

They DO! I know it seems unbelievable at the moment and it is possible that you might have a few more years of ups and downs, but eventually the lovely person that was your child gets returned to you in the guise of a delightful young adult.

I am sure that a lot of old time regulars on this forum have read my desperate posts about my DS, who in his early teens got entangled in seriously dangerous behaviour. At the time I honestly felt like my lovely boy had been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by Kevin the Teenager (Ollie, spot on!). Miraculously, though, my sweet child has been returned to me, older, wiser and infintely more pleasant.

Good luck, get as much support from other parents and from your family members if appropriate, and you will ride the teenage years like so many of us have done (not easily, but trusting that something will change eventually, and it does).

Here are my five for today:

1 - No-work-day today, as I have completed my 52 monthly hours yesterday.

2 - Session at the herbal clinic, the practitioner found me in excellent health and although I do not need any medication as such she prepared a nice tonic to see my immune system well through the winter.

3 - Found 2 for 1 plum punnets at Mr S so I bought them and made spicy plum and apple jam (with ginger, cinnamon and chilli). It came out very yummy!

4 - Brought a pot of above jam to my friend as a gift (not expecting an exchange!) but she insisted on giving me a jar of wild damson jam and a small jar of quince jelly.

5 - Anticipating tomorrow, when I shall go go the Bristol OS meet, really looking forward to meet old acquaintances and new faces!

Have a great evening everybody xxx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1. Finally getting around to weighing out fruit and pouring lots of brandy over it for the Christmas cake (which I will finish tomorrow)

2. Finding a lovely Mary Berry cookbook in a charity shop and making a lovely tray bake from one of the recipes

3. Visiting Marlborough with DH and treating ourselves the most gorgeous, gorgeous meal in a pub there - £10 for two and I had guinea fowl and DH had a fabulous proper steak and ale pie. We left with stuffed bellies and massive grins!

4. Finding my half-finished and previously lost Harry Potter book (it was hiding in our spare room) so now I can finish it

5. FINALLY getting a wardrobe delivered to our new house, staining it antique pine and unpacking the fifteen thousand black bin bags of clothes that were hiding in the spare room
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    1. Packing equipment and boxes into the car to take back to work on redundancy-day. At least we can start to reclaim our family home from the home-office.

2. Returning around £70 worth of clothes which I bought in a hurry for a recent job interview before opting for supermarket trousers instead.

3. Paying a cheque into my bank for travel expenses from aforementioned interview (I was a 'very close second' apparently). Paying money in doesn't happen often apart from my BACs salary payments and expenses - and those are almost through now.

4. Getting a lovely welcoming PM from a Flylady expert.

5.But above all, just looking forward to the weekend and planning for a tidy home, happy family and fresh start now that I'm moving on from a job that I loved but wore me into the ground.

Probably not all that OS on reflection!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport