How bad can a County Court Judgement Affect you?

Comments

• talah
    talah Posts: 12 Forumite
    eton rifle- your correct, i just need further advice so i can make my decision. I have many responsibilities at home including taking care of my parents. I dont think i can afford to take the risk and put my parents in a situation where the person they're relying on to help support them is bound to doing little for them by having a ccj to my name.
  • talah
    sickasachip13- i was not aware of this at all, if i was i would not have let him use my details.

He's put me into this position and im looking to sort it out in the best way. Looks like im going to have to put his name forward its either my brother who is affected or its me and the rest of my family who are relying on me for the future.

The only reason i had to consider saving him was because he would have to go prison for this.
  • sickasachip13
    sickasachip13 Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Sorry if I seemed harsh - I didn't mean to be, I was just baffled as to how the situation had occurred.

I think you have to let him face the consequences. I don't reckon he'll go to prison for it, unless he has some previous convictions.

Awful situation for you to be put in, but you can't really protect him and take the rap for something that could lose you your job - let's face it, your employers are not going to take kindly to it.

SAAC
  • talah
    AHH dont worry about it, no offence was taken. I was just saying.

Its true im going have to put it on him because their is no way i can afford that my job or future is affected by any of this.
  • NeverAgain_2
    NeverAgain_2 Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    It's not clear to me exactly what brother has done, but prison is not likely for giving false details and a bit of low-level insurance fraud.

Your position is precarious, if you do not give your brother's details, the police could start talking about you perverting the course of justice, which often does carry a short sentence.
  • talah
    Hes used my details without my consent to drive a car when he does not have his own details as he does not have a licence. He hit another car and the driver of that car is claiming against me as my name was used and is now asking for a cost which they incurred and have filed a ccj against my name.

I didnt think that the police could start talking about me perverting the course of justice.

Looks like it going to have to be my brother who i have to report.
  • I think that whatever you do here your job is at risk
    Even if you do "shop" your brother you are admitting involvement in this - and that is not going to go down well with your employers if you work in the insurance industry.
  • talah
    How will my employers come to know of this? Especially if ive proved it was nothing to do with me and all ive done is clear my name?
  • It has got something to do with you.
    The driver has filed a claim because he has been unable to reclaim his costs from you so now he is going down the court route. You must have been aware that he was trying to contact you and why.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,304
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I hate to say this but didnt you recieve court papers etc through the post? it may look like you have colluded with him even if you later report him.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure