Dulux Paint Stinks?

I have decorated and used Dulux quick dry Satinwood on my paint work and radiators,when i put the heating on my radiators are giving off a acrid burning smell and has for the last couple of weeks.Has anyone else had this with this paint as the smell makes me feel sick?

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Lippycow wrote: »
    I have decorated and used Dulux quick dry Satinwood on my paint work and radiators,when i put the heating on my radiators are giving off a acrid burning smell and has for the last couple of weeks.Has anyone else had this with this paint as the smell makes me feel sick?

The clues in the name!:rotfl:

You need to use a radiator paint next time

Olias
  • Did you follow this?

Olias, according to the above link the OP used the right kind of paint.
    Male. :o
  • Lippycow
    Lippycow Posts: 312 Forumite
    olias wrote: »
    The clues in the name!:rotfl:

You need to use a radiator paint next time

Olias

Very funny... you can use it on radiators and wood ;)
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    Are you sure its not just the smell of the heating?? Mine sometimes smells a bit after its been off all year??
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think Crown and Dulux need a kick up the backside. Who designs their tins, an idiot? As for hairs coming out of brushes every few seconds (on good brushes too).
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Did you follow this?

Olias, according to the above link the OP used the right kind of paint.

OK fair point, but myself, I would still reccommend using a paint thats specifically designed for the high temperatures involved with radiators.

Olias
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    We had bad experience with paint on radiators. Unless you're using specific radiator paint you need to leave the radiator off for quite a bit until the paint is properly dry- not just touch dry. Turing on the heating while leaving the individual radiator switched off (ie for the rest of the house) could help the drying process.

We ended up replacing a radiator because getting rid of the bubbled paintwork would have been too hard a job.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2009 at 10:31AM
    This a new one on me. I work for a DIY store and I've heard paint flakeing off and I would recomend using proper raditor paint.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surprisingly normal emulsion works well on Radiators, and dosent smell.! proper radiator paint is awuful. and if you use the same colour if painting walls, it blends in better. Pleas dont post you cant do this, ive been doing it for years, it works well.
  • No probs for us using dual purpose Dulux paint on our rads. It's all over the house but never had 'smells' in any of the rooms.

However, don't get me started on cr&ppy Crown paint, I'm never touching that bubbly muck again...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure