Buchanan clark & wells??

Comments

• dogwoof
    dogwoof Posts: 47 Forumite
    yes thanx ppl

i typed it out and am sending the letter.

thanks for the advice every1! :rolleyes:
  • Buchannan clarke and wells are nasty people!! DONT PHONE! I wish i hadnt! Admittedly, we owed BG money, but we had never recieved a bill, and as we had moved, they wanted to charge us £10 for a copy. I contacted BG direct and they sent me a copy, which I then paid through BC&W but online so I didnt have to speak to them, they really are horrible horrible people who refuse to assist at all. Good luck, i suggest you ask your BF to speak to his dad to see if it is his debt too, to make him aware.

Always pay direct to the original creditor. Never ever ever, under any circumstances pay a debt collector. If you pay a debt collector you are keeping them in business. Make life for them as difficult as possible.

Even if by paying the debt to the original creditor and they then pay the DCA, it just makes things a little more difficult for them.

Under no circumstances do anything that encourages these scum.:beer:
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Under no circumstances do anything that encourages these scum.

Very eloquently put, impnt - pure poetry. :T :T
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • I just got a call on my landline and got a recorded message asking me to call Buchanan Clarke & Wells and quote a reference number... I googled the name and it brought me here, and the search also brought up a long list of pages detailing their dodginess!

In my case I have no debts and can't think what anyone could be chasing me for. Could it be a mistake? Or could the be after the flat's previous occupants, who emigrated without paying their last bills, but over 18 months ago? I don't give my landline number out to many people so I have no idea how they got it.

Obviously I'm not going to spend money on a phonecall to find out what they want. I've had no letters from them either, will they continue to harass me by phone?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Might have been better to start a new thread rather than resurrect a two-year old one...

However, BCW seem to have bought a lot of old untraceable debt recently judging from their frequent appearance on this board.

I would take the view that any contact just encourages them.

If they send anything in the post, start a new thread and tell us what it says.

If their calls are bothering you, you might want to use 'choose to refuse' for a few months.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If they carry on contacting you, just send a prove it letter.http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11570893&postcount=2

But for now don't worry they are probably fishing for people.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • I have just had a call similar to 'muggins here'. I was contacted by BCW tonight asking for a Mike somebody. Having told them i did not know who that person was they started questioning me, and asking questions i was not comfortable answering (financial details). I immediately hung up and searched their details which lead me here.

I do not like the way these people behaved on the phone. It was not professional at all, i thought it was a scam by the behaviour of the guy on the phone.

Though i know i have no debt I have no doubt they will be phoning back so will follow your advice and insist on a written correspondence only. Good forum and advice by the way.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You did the right thing, they shouldn't be asking for such details over the phone and i would have hung up thinking scam too. If they called to speak to person x, they should only speak to person x. if they cant they should say goodbye and hang up. DPA means they cant dicuss any details without the named persons consent.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • I've had enough of Buchannan, Clark & Wells and now SRJ debt recovery.
    I'm being constantly pursued for the best part of a thousand pounds for non- payment of a British Gas bill, even though I have records of payments for the time I owned the bill.

I contacted BBC's watchdog as I am so angry; they responded to me on 18th Jan 2010 to provide more info. I'd recommend contacting them in the near future if this is an issue bugging you.

In addition, people are challenging British Gas in relation to harrassment in similar cases. See Court of Appeal
    Ferguson v British Gas Trading Ltd [2009] EWCA Civ 46 (10 February 2009)

I don't like the way B, C & W act - I wonder how many vulnerable individuals have paid money they don't owe? To me it's deplorable (the polite version of what I think).

In addition, the problem has only arisen as a result of British Gas having the administrative skills of a chicken embryo.

Toby
  • WRINKLES
    WRINKLES Posts: 817 Forumite
    First Post
    the way to deal with dodgy debt collectors who are phishing do not talk to them onthe phone keep a record of their number complain to the police your mp the financial authaurities follow the advice of the good people on this site regarding the letters you should send them everyone should complain about them make enough noise for long enough then somebody will eventually take action against them
    GRADUATED FIRST CLASS WITH HONORS FROM THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS RECOMENDED READ IF BY RUDYARD KIPLING
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure