How do you defrost a freezer?

I know this is going to sound very very silly, but I have no idea!! I have a integrated fridge/freezer which means I cannot get to the plug (even if I knew where it was!!). Apart from using hot water or leaving the door open whats the best way to defrost the freezer part?

Comments

• Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    put all your groceries, frozen and fresh in a duvet, wrap them all up.
    Defrost the fridge freezer. Don't worry, your produce will stay frozen and cold for a fair few hours.
  • I think you've said it yourself really. If you can't find the plug at the back of a cupboard/draw housing then the best way is to put a dish of boiling water in for a few minutes to loosen the ice.

Then a bit of brute force should do the trick.

As the previous post said your food will stay frozen for a while if you wrap it up (newspaper is another option).
    Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity.
    That's how rich I want to be. ;)

But until then - best wishes - Mike.
    :beer:
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Is their an internal temp control and switch? If so, turn these off. Or turn off the mains power... Remember to put towels down!
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    A hair dryer with a directional nozzle works a treat. Just don't get it wet!! Melt off the edge of some ice, then use a wooden spatula to slide into the gaps between the ice & the freezer to lever off big slabs.

Mike
  • B33fy
    B33fy Posts: 173 Forumite
    Just be careful the OH used a rolling pin and knife which she managed to drive through a channel which carried the freon gas and then asked what was the hissing sound!!!
  • I always use one of those steam cleaners with the direct jet on. You know the one I mean? They are often advertised on TV for about £20-30 quid.
    (I didn't pay that though, I just go and borrow my mums!! lol)

They work a treat, very quick and no danger of puncturing/breaking anything!!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    For safety sake you really need to find where the plug point is sited. Often it will be inside an adjacent cupboard or in a fused box above worktop level near the fridge/ freezer.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Got sick of waiting with the hot water idea so have just turned the dial in the fridge part of the fridge/freezer off. Everything has turned off and now a strange noise is coming from freezer - assume defrosting. Got a but worried and turned the dial in the fridge part to on again and the light comes on but nothing else happens - is there a delay until it starts refriderating again or have I done something wrong here?>
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    miketebb wrote:
    ...........Then a bit of brute force should do the trick.

I've just defrosted mine, now I'm looking to buy one without gas/steam billowing out at me:confused:

Everything was going great until I decided to "ease" the last chunk of ice out -whoops. If using brute force I'd suggest not using sharp kitchen knife.

My questions - does anyone know if the gas is dangerous to my family - sod the enviroment? Sorry very unPC, but family comes first.

does anyone know how to dispose of an old freezer?

any bargains around for a new integrated freezer at the mo????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure