PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing yoghurt and fromage frais?

OK, silly question time. I know that it's possible to freeze milk, but is it possible to freeze and then defrost yoghurt?

Sainsbury's have a special offer on Muller Light yoghurts at the moment: buy a pack of six and get a second pack free. I'm tempted to buy some & freeze them as they're my favourites but a bit expensive for my budget. What do you think - is it worth a risk?

Comments

• little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you can freeze this because when I was a member of slimming world one of our favourites was to freeze a toffee muller light with low fat fromage frais and a small packet of crushed maltesers. Yum Yum and (almost ) fat free ;D ;D

Also I freeze those tubes of yoghurt for kids and they help keep the lunchbox cool in summer and then can be eaten when defrosted.

So i think the (rather longwinded ::) ) answer is yes!
  • Tina_D
    Tina_D Posts: 47 Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    just sorting the fridge out and have found some natural yoghurt that goes out of date on the 10/1. Can I freeze this as I wont be needing it til 14/1? The obvious thing would be to shuffle menu about to use it earlier but have tried this and wont work i'm afraid.
    Thanks
    Tina
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya :)

We have an older thread on freezing youghurt, so I've added your question to it. Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up with us all :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    When i was in Canada ( a holiday many years ago!!!) i remember having frozen yoghurt as a desert, and it was lovely!!! so im sure that there is no problem freezing yoghurt, as long as its eaten soon after defrosting.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Tina_D wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    just sorting the fridge out and have found some natural yoghurt that goes out of date on the 10/1. Can I freeze this as I wont be needing it til 14/1? The obvious thing would be to shuffle menu about to use it earlier but have tried this and wont work i'm afraid.
    Thanks
    Tina

The whole point of yogurt is that active bacteria flourish and result in thickening and souring of the milk. You don't need to freeze the yogurt it will be fine anyway! Freezing yogurt alters the texture of the yogurt. This is fine if you just want to preserve some culture to make your own at a later date (e.g. if going away on holiday), but really not advisable if you want to use it as yogurt.

Frozen yogurt is a bit different and normally eaten frozen as an ice cream substitute.
  • I tried freezing mullerlight apple pie flavour and it separated when I defrosted it.
  • Rhyburgh
    Rhyburgh Posts: 423 Forumite
    Blimey this site has everything!! I was wondering this question myself. My daughters have become addicted to smoothies from a new shop which has opened in Norwich (Gourmet Joes) and they use frozen yoghurt in their drinks. So much so I have had to buy a magic bullet and I was wondering if I could freeze yoghurt (in lots of flavours to suit all tastes - rather than have to buy the expensive ready frozen stuff). As I will put it in the blender still frozen (instead of ice) I am hoping that is going to be OK as it won't have time to split. Will let you know how I get on!
    Heard the Shaggy Taxi Wind Up Phone Call?
    Visit my Shaggy videos on Youtube - search for Rhyburgh1 - now over 700,00 views - bring on the million!! Enjoy.
  • jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    can anyone tell me if its alright to freeze yoghurt and fromage frais as my daughter goes through loads and id like to get them in my internet tesco shop,thank you
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya :)

An older thread seems to be of divided opinions here on yoghurt, but I've added your question to it in the hopes that it will be of some help.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone post that fromage frais freezes OK - but I might be corrected :)

Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read this thread from the beginning to catch up.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Yoga_Girl
    Yoga_Girl Posts: 888
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In the summer I have successfully frozen little tubs of yoghurt and the children have had them as a yoghurt lolly - pop a lolly stick in them before putting in the freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure