Marriott's 'Look No Further' best price guarantee

I know that quite a few of the big hotel chains offer a 'Best Price Guarantee' when booking directly through their own website but I thought I would post my experiences of putting Marriott's 'Look No Further' guarantee into practice.

The terms and conditions of the guarantee (click here) are fairly straightforward. When reserving rooms at hotels in the USA and Canada, there are very few restrictions as to which other providers you may use as a comparison. Outside the USA and Canada, you may only use providers which do not issue an accommodation voucher (either electronic or paper). Unfortunately, this wipes out the likes of find-rooms.com, DIY Travel, Hotel Pronto, etc. However, I have discovered that you can use Expedia and Ebookers and have had several claims agreed when using these as a comparison.

A couple of examples:-

I'm going to Toronto from 22-26 November and have booked the Marriott Eaton Centre hotel. The best rate on the Marriott website was CAD $229 per night + tax, which came to CAD $1044.34 in total including tax, approximately £458. https://www.find-rooms.com had the same deal for £283 in total, including taxes. I booked with Marriott and then submitted a claim under their 'Best Rate Guarantee'. They agreed the claim, matched the rate on find-rooms and then discounted it by 25%. The total for my reservation is now CAD $495.35, approximately £220.

I'm also going to be in Prague from 22-27 May 2007 (I'm getting married there :grin:). I made two reservations at the Renaissance Prague hotel; one from 22-25 May and the other from 25-27 May. The reason for this is that Ebookers had a cheaper rate for the first 3 days, Expedia had the last 2 days cheaper. I submitted claims for both reservations, both were approved and I'm paying 160 Euro/night for the first 3 nights, including breakfast (the original reservation was 230 Euro/night, room only) and 85 Euro/night for the last 2 nights, room only (the original was 149 Euro/night, room only).

The thing that has impressed me is that although the room type must be the same, if the competitor site's rate includes breakfast and the rate on Marriott.com does not, they will take this into account when assessing your claim. Also, as the original reservation you make on Marriott.com is cancellable without charge, you can try your luck without worrying. The amended reservation is also cancellable without charge, meaning that if an even better rate comes up in the meantime, you can re-book and claim again to get it even cheaper.

I have no connection with Marriott, other than being a satisfied customer. I just thought that I may be able to help someone save a few quid.
threadbanner.gif
This space has been intentionally left blank

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Great find Glenn! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Good spot Glenn, I was lookjing at this offer last night as I am booking the Marriott for the OH, but got stucvk with the voucher thingy. however expedia have a damn good rate £122!

As it is a non obligation booking I am gonna try my luck with this one then and see what happens! the 25% will be handy!
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    I think with expedia it depends on the hotel booked as some are paid upfront and a voucher issued.

from expedia website
    Why have you not charged me for my hotel booking?
    Updated: 05/10/05
    Expedia.co.uk categorises its hotels as either being Expedia Special Rate (ESR) hotels or Non Expedia Special Rate (Non-ESR) hotels.
    Expedia.co.uk takes full payment for ESR hotels at the time of booking.
    If you book a Non-ESR hotel, payment will be taken by the hotel in line with its policy either when you check-in or when you check-out. The hotel will keep your credit card details as a guarantee against your reservation.

I believe possibly Bookings.com , Active hotels would qualify as a comparison too.

Nice one Glen -we could be back in action:T
  • TBeckett100
    just to see the how good they are i reserved a sat and sun night at 179EUR and 249EUR. On expedia.de (had to get an acccurate euro comparison) it was 179 and 169 EUROS with breakfast, so if Marriott match that rate, throw in the breakfast and give me another 25% off, I am staying in nothing less than a marriott whereever I go (except Barcelona where Stelios lends me a hotel).

Will keep you posted. I may even ask for an extra night!
  • TBeckett100
    claim rejected as the room is 2m different, have rebooked and tried again. expedia calls it deluxe when it really is the basic room.
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Something I didn't point out in my original post is that where the Marriott.com rate is room only but the competitor rate includes breakfast, they will either:-

a. Knock off the price of breakfast and then reduce that rate by 25%.

or

b. Include breakfast and then reduce the rate by 25%.

They mostly seem to do the first option but I have some multiple-reservation stays for some of my guests in Prague where the first 2 nights include breakfast and the last 2 don't! It doesn't really matter but something to be aware of. I suppose if you requested on the claim form that you would like breakfast included, they may do that.

Just yesterday, a rate of 119 Euro (room only) appeared on Expedia.de for the last 2 nights of my stay in Prague. I booked the 2 nights again on Marriott.com (best available rate of 149 Euro, room only) and submitted a claim. It was agreed, my rate for those nights is now 85 Euro and I cancelled the original reservation for those nights :money:
  • TBeckett100
    just having a ganderoonie on ebay and the berlin marriott hold autions for weekend breaks, having checked the completed listings, 2 nights inc breakfast will be £130.00 on average which is very good so will hold out for that one. it says american breakfast, not sure if this differs
  • GlennTheBaker
    Yeah, some of those auctions look rather tasty. The JW Marriott Grand Hotel in Bucharest could be had for not many £££'s a few months back.
  • TBeckett100
    ten past eight ebay tonight thats where I am at.
  • GlennTheBaker
    I went to Berlin last year and stayed at the Mövenpick (which was a really cool hotel). We walked past the Marriott on our way into the centre and it looked great.

Good luck on ebay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family