Tesco Pension

Hi There

Have just found out that i have been paying into a pension with Tescos since October 2005 for my part-time job. I currently have a civil service pension and am debating whether or not to cancel this one. I have spoken to the pension section and they are sending me cancellation forms on the off chance i decide to cancel. i would prefer to get this money backdated but as i have been paying into it since oct05(more than 2 years)they cannot refund it. They state i can transfer amount to different pension but i don't really know what to do.

Preferably i would like cash in hand so can anyone tell me if there is a way of doing this.

Cheers in advance.

Cheqmate06

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have just found out that i have been paying into a pension with Tescos since October 2005 for my part-time job. I currently have a civil service pension and am debating whether or not to cancel this one.

Tesco Pensions are cut down versions of the Norwich Union stakeholder. Pretty poor quality designed for the typical Tesco purchaser. The Civil service scheme is significantly better.

You cannot get your money back from either of them. So just stop paying into the tesco one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • fg22
    fg22 Posts: 67 Forumite
    It appears that Tesco operates a defined benefit, career average pension scheme for their employees. If you are a member of this then it is likely to be beneficial to continue paying into it. Due to the employer contributions the benefits are likely to be worth more than the amount you pay in.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think we need some clarification here. I assumed that the Tesco pension was their retail product (the one you see at tills) and that the civil service pension is linked to employment.

If it is the Tesco occupational pension then they operate two versions depending on when you joined. The old defined benefit but also a defined contribution which they match payments into.

If both schemes are occupational (meaning you are an employee of both) then you should remain in both. The free money makes it worthwhile.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Apologies for not being 100% clear.Both are occupational pensions.I have no intention of changing civil service pension. I was just wondering wether it is worth it to continue tesco pension or not. I joined in October 2004 and pension started exactly one year later.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheqmate06
  • Keep on paying into it.

And read your payslip a bit more often, "just realised ...since 2005.." :rotfl:
  • Thanks for all the good information.:beer:

All future payslips will be closely scrutinised!! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family