Boss requesting to give personal data to third party

Hi,
my manager is asking me to share my personal data (copy of passport, etc..) with an external company in order to register an account with this company.
This access account is not absolutely necessary for my job and I don't feel comfortable giving a copy of my passport to a third party.
I told my manager I wasn't comfortable giving out my data but she said I'm obliged to... is that true?

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    borderline wrote: »
    Hi,
    my manager is asking me to share my personal data (copy of passport, etc..) with an external company in order to register an account with this company.
    This access account is not absolutely necessary for my job and I don't feel comfortable giving a copy of my passport to a third party.
    I told my manager I wasn't comfortable giving out my data but she said I'm obliged to... is that true?
    What kind of account???
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 344
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AP007 wrote: »
    What kind of account???

it's an account to let this company know how much money they are expecting from us.
    Up until now I didn't need to do it this way and it's not imperative that I do it the new way either with the registered account under my name, it's just that my boos feels like doing it this other way...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it's for a bank account, they may be able to check your identity manually: I know when we change signatories that we can either submit copies of passports or just send off address details and wait ...

You say access to this account isn't essential, but presumably your boss thinks it would be easier / helpful / more convenient / desirable if you had access. So, how much does keeping on good terms with your boss matter to you?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    borderline wrote: »
    it's an account to let this company know how much money they are expecting from us.
    Up until now I didn't need to do it this way and it's not imperative that I do it the new way either with the registered account under my name, it's just that my boos feels like doing it this other way...
    So what have you got to do with the company bank accounts ?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    still not clear what sort of account and why the company needs your details.
  • borderline
    Forumite
    No, it's not a bank account. We send some foreign currency weekly to this company, basically they want my details to log me as a user. I can't buy any currency with this account, it's just to let them know how much cash they'll be expecting... but they want a copy of my passport
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    whats wrong with sending an email

how does you having access to the account help you tell them how much money is coming
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why can't your manager use his/her details?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • borderline
    Forumite
    whats wrong with sending an email

how does you having access to the account help you tell them how much money is coming

I guess they want to know in case the money gets lost "in transit" , the money is sent with their own courier but with the cash a paying slip is sent so they know how much money to expect
  • borderline
    Forumite
    Why can't your manager use his/her details?

she could, she has an account but I'm the one sending the money.

What I would like to know if Data protection Act will allow me to say no to my boss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure