IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

New private parking ticket appeals feedback

Former_MSE_Rose
Former_MSE_Rose Posts: 128 Forumite
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

This thread's specifically to give feedback on the new private parking tickets appeals service as part of the Private Parking Tickets guide. Have you used the new POPLA independent appeals service, and if so, how did you get on?

Was your appeal successful or not, and which grounds of appeal did you use? How long did it take, and did you include any other factors with your appeal to strengthen your argument?

Just click 'post reply' to add your feedback - thanks,

MSE Rose

Comments

• Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!

I had some faith in POPLA believing they would judge my appeal fairly, and as an individual but this turned out not to be the case at all.

They took well over the time stated to reply to my appeal, rejecting both fines of course. I won't go into the details of each fine, as this is more about POPLA themselves but I can assure you I was fined unjustly. When POPLA reply to you, they include all of your evidence in their pack which is posted to you. On looking through all the paper work, I noticed that all of my evidence (submitted via email as suggested my POPLA) was printed out by POPLA in an awful state. I would deem it almost impossible to judge fairly as it was so dark and grainy. In fact, you couldn't even see the permit in my car window which I was obviously relying on heavily to support my argument. Afte receiving the rejection response, I promptly emailed the person who was dealing with my case and asked him to reconsider, explaining that there was no way he could judge the evidence fairly using a sub standard printer. I got no response of course.

Hope this helps others. Definitely post your evidence to POPLA to be sure it is being judged in it's clearest format - not that I believe POPLA judge fairly to begin with but hey it's a start.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why are you calling these invoices "fines"?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!

I had some faith in POPLA believing they would judge my appeal fairly, and as an individual but this turned out not to be the case at all.

They took well over the time stated to reply to my appeal, rejecting both fines of course. I won't go into the details of each fine, as this is more about POPLA themselves but I can assure you I was fined unjustly. When POPLA reply to you, they include all of your evidence in their pack which is posted to you. On looking through all the paper work, I noticed that all of my evidence (submitted via email as suggested my POPLA) was printed out by POPLA in an awful state. I would deem it almost impossible to judge fairly as it was so dark and grainy. In fact, you couldn't even see the permit in my car window which I was obviously relying on heavily to support my argument. Afte receiving the rejection response, I promptly emailed the person who was dealing with my case and asked him to reconsider, explaining that there was no way he could judge the evidence fairly using a sub standard printer. I got no response of course.

Hope this helps others. Definitely post your evidence to POPLA to be sure it is being judged in it's clearest format - not that I believe POPLA judge fairly to begin with but hey it's a start.

Not sure from your statement whether your appeal was upheld (i.e. charges dropped) or dismissed - charges apply (but you mustn't pay them - just continue to ignore).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The appeal was reject, so according to POPLA she must pay. However, as stated NEVER pay.

You were parked in your own space, it would be laughed out of court, should they be brave enough to try it on.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just thought I would give some feedback on my experience with POPLA as I am currently still battling parking fines given to me in October 2012 for parking in my own allocated bay would you believe!
    It sounds like you may not have appealed on the correct grounds and for example insisted that the contract between the PPC & landowner be produced to prove their right to levy parking charges & pursue you in court. Appealing to their logic that you shouldn't be fined for parking in your own allocated space is not sufficient. If you start asking about details of the contract they don't want to reveal it & you will win by default when they don't produce the evidence requested.

The next time they ticket you for parking in your space please take yourself over to PePiPoo where you will get decent advice on how you should appeal. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=60
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,572
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite

Was your POPLA appeal detailed and demanding like this sort of thing?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=78026&st=20&start=20

That's a fairly good example of a detailed POPLA appeal challenging a ticket in the flat owner/tenant's own allocated bay.

Please, please tell us that you didn't actually PAY the PPC?! :eek:

As it says in our sticky info thread about POPLA, any POPLA decision is not binding on you at all and if the PPC took it to Court (unlikely anyway) a properly-worded defence (free from pepipoo) would kick it into touch and you could counter-claim. Harassment sounds a likely reason to counter claim to me!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jnlp
    jnlp Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have had my reply from POPLA, And my appeal was rejected for the following reasons

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination
    The Appellant made representations to the Operator, stating that he had arrived at the car park in order to assist his daughter, whose vehicle had stopped. As he was acting as a recovery vehicle, the parking charge exceeds the appropriate amount. The ANPR cameras do not know whether or not a ticket was purchased. The Operator’s employee did not come to speak with him at any time, and could see that he was acting as a recovery vehicle.

The Operator rejected the representations, stating:
    1. The Appellant’s vehicle was clearly parked without displaying a valid ticket. The vehicle was first observed entering the car park at 1401 and exited at 1507, staying in the car park for 66 minutes.
    2. Signs state ‘Customers have 10 minutes from entering the car park to purchase a valid Pay & Display ticket’.
    3. No attempt had been made to contact the Operator during the period of parking. No evidence has been submitted to confirm the circumstances outlined in the appeal.
    The Appellant has not submitted any evidence, for example a breakdown report. Signs in the car park, evidence of which has been submitted, state that a failure to pay and display will result in a Parking Charge Notice being issued. I do not find that the parking charge exceeded the appropriate amount, as the amount of £100 was agreed to in the contract between the Appellant and the Operator. Photographic evidence of the Appellant’s vehicle has been submitted. No pay and display ticket can be seen on the vehicle. I cannot find that there is any requirement that the Operator’s employee speak to the Appellant and inform him of parking restrictions, as these are clearly stated on signs throughout the car park. By parking in the car park, the Appellant accepted the terms and conditions on the signage.
    Considering carefully all the evidence before me, I must find that, at the material time, the Appellant did not display a valid pay and display ticket and is therefore liable for the parking charge.
    Accordingly, I refuse this appeal.
    This assessor did not read my appeal correctly as (1) I stated my daughter had broken down NOT Stopped and i acted as a recovery person, plus so many more errors in this report.
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    So you went for 'mitigating circumstances' and seem to have missed all the advice on this forum which says don't send POPLA appeals like that?

You could have won. What a waste of a POPLA code, oh dear.

You do realise you don't have to pay this? Please don't add insult to injury by saying you actually think you have to pay this now. POPLA is not binding on you.
  • Helen59
    Helen59 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hello,
    I had a Euro Car Parks Charge Notice a month ago and as I read on all forums not to pay the fine from them, I decided not to pay it. I just received a reminder with the fine increasing from 40 to 70 pounds.
    On that day I just did not see the machine and that I had to pay to park there so didn't display ticket...
    So now I just see now that there has been a law since 2012 and that Euro Car Parks is on the list of BPA-approved operators.

I really don't know what to do now, 70 pounds is a very big money for me. What are the chances they continue to ask me to pay this charge notice ? Will the amount increase ? Can I appeal by any mean if the reason why I didnt pay was just that I didn't see the machine ? (especially if they have cameras on...!)

Please could you tell me what to do asap ?
    Thanks a lot !
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    Just do a simple challenge to ECP like the one mentioned here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79309

''Dear Sirs

I am writing to you regarding parking charge xxxxxxxxxxx issued to vehicle xxxx xxx on xx/xx/2013, your charge is punitive and unenforceable. I require you to either cancel the charge forthwith or provide me with a popla code so that I can refer the matter to popla.

Yours faithfully''

Thanks to Concrete Jungle on pepipoo for that simple challenge which says all it needs to do and gives away no information about the driver or the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure