Hotmail problem - not receiving any emails

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Open a Gmail account instead, much more reliable.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lisa76
    lisa76 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks macman, I was going to open something else but would we be able to redirect his hotmail emails into it?
  • lisa76
    2010-I've joined the Microsoft forum and posted the problem on there so hopefully we'll get some help - thanks
  • lisa76
    Still nothing and the last email I tried sending said that there was a server problem on the destination email so sounds like a hotmail server problem to me but mine are working fine and he can send - strange???
  • lisa76
    If I create a new email account (either hotmail or gmail) will I be able to link the old account and hope that the emails will come through to the new account???
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Note - as a new user it seems I am not allowed to post links so ive done my best to make the web links readable.

Recently I have seen problems with other peoples hotmail and although I don't exactly know exactly know the cause, I suspect its something to do with the new Outlook.com.

I have recently switched over from Hotmail to Outlook.com.

My <firstname><lastname>@hotmail.com address still works and I also now have <firstname><lastname>@outlook.com as an 'alias' - I might not use it very often but at least nobody else can use it.

If you log on to hotmail and send yourself an email then does it arrive?
    how about if you go to <www . outlook . com> , enter your hotmail credentials and then send yourself an email - does that work/not work?

Using the new 'outlook' interface for hotmail is, for me, a massive improvement and it seems much quicker.
    Here is a link to the microsoft help file for how to do it. As far as I can remember when I converted to outlook.com there was an option what said 'switch back to hotmail' for a couple of months (I tried it and it did indeed switch everything back) but now that option has gone from my account.

blogs . office . com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2012/08/03/upgrade-from-hotmail-to-outlook-com.aspx?PageIndex=4
  • lisa76
    Thanks Ant555 for your reply.

He's able to send emails to other addresses (ie my work email) but not to himself - so this suggests it's a receiving problem linked to his account.

I've managed to get the Microsoft Community forum to have a look at it so they're going to look at problems their end - whether they come up with anything is another thing altogether.

Are you suggesting we convert to outlook and see if the old emails come through??? I love outlook - we use it in work, but we've just hesitated making the switch in hotmail.
  • Ant555
    I would definitely try converting to Outlook - Although its probably not exactly the same as the outlook you have at work.

Ignoring any possible name changes or additional aliases you can 'convert' your hotmail account, and all that seems to happen is you get the clean looking modern interface. I am sure something technology related happens in the background but for me the update was painless. Your address stays the same, your contacts, calendar, any SkyDrive files all stay.

When I originally changed to 'Outlook', a couple of times I switched back to Hotmail just to see if I could - I could switch back to hotmail but it looked so dated that I soon decided to stay on the new outlook platform (or whatever its called)

Friends of mine were over from Australia recently and they couldn't send or receive using their hotmail accounts so couldn't keep in touch with friends. All I did was put their existing hotrmail name and password into outlook.com and they could immediately send and receive.

Ok, this doesn't sound exactly like your issue but it may be related.

You say that you can send to other addresses but not your hotmail - is this from hotmail itself? ie - log into hotmail and send yourself a message - does it come through?
    Your messages aren't, for some unexplained reason, going into the 'junk' folder are they?
  • Ant555
    I just tried it with an old hotmail.com account.

logged onto outlook.com using existing hotmail username/password and get the new look. All my messages are there.

In the top right of the screen there is a little icon of a gear wheel for all the settings - at the bottom of there is an option 'switch back to hotmail'

Select it, say no to 'send feedback' and immediate;ly i am looking at the old style hotmail screen again.

So, just to put your mind at rest - you can still revert back if you don;t like it.

After all that, converting to the new interface may not fix your problem but I hope it does!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure