refused credit by DFS

tommyjj
tommyjj Posts: 101
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi everyone,

I tried to buy a sofa this Sunday at DFS. My girlfriend convinced me to put £350 of it's £699 on their 0% credit and the remainder I paid in cash (debit card).

I've got no history of bad debts but are now self-employed and have lived in 4 addresses in as many years. I'm sure this is part of the reason why today (wednesday) I had a call from DFS saying finance had been refused and asking how I would like to pay for the sofa.

When buying, I asked the salesman specifically whether I could get a full refund in the event that the finance was refused and was told categorically 'yes' in front of myself and 3 other witnesses.

I'm still waiting for him to call me back but having read a load of stuff online about DFS and the way they operate, I am trying to arm myself before he calls.

I wouldn't have purchased the sofa if I'd had to pay the full price up front - the 0% interest offer seemed pretty appealing - so I no longer want it.

Would DFS really go ahead and order the sofa before the finance has been agreed?

I should also add that the salesman told me to lie on the finance application and say that I was still employed at my old company rather than self-employed! I had to call them yesterday to correct it as I realised the seriousness of lying on a form like that.

Comments

• tommyjj
    Forumite
    thanks for the info on National Hunter

I'm not worried about it now as I made them correct the form before it was submitted.

It must happen to people buying goods on credit all the time though. cheeky.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    tommyjj wrote: »
    thanks for the info on National Hunter

I'm not worried about it now as I made them correct the form before it was submitted.

It must happen to people buying goods on credit all the time though. cheeky.

You saying you were employed rather then self/employed wouldn't of made any difference to you being accepted or not,you have a poor credit history that's why you were declined.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    false perception

Great malapropism. I think you mean 'false pretences'!
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • tommyjj
    Forumite
    You saying you were employed rather then self/employed wouldn't of made any difference to you being accepted or not,you have a poor credit history that's why you were declined.

I have a good credit score according to Experian. I have had a credit card for more than 12 months on which I have been paying more than the minimum at the requested intervals.

Aside from that I had a personal loan a few years ago that was all paid off as prescribed.

I have never missed a loan/card payment and have never had CCJs etc etc

If I have poor credit history then everyone in the country must have one.

The control these agencies have over you is absurd, yet the retail and banking sector band around 0% loans like there's no tomorrow. Seriously, what's the acceptance rate for this kind of a deal?
  • tommyjj
    Forumite

That's also not true...

It is well known that being self-employed makes it more difficult to obtain credit
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134
    Organisation Representative
    Lenders do usually factor your employment status and salary into the credit scores they calculate.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • BugsyBrowne
    Lenders do usually factor your employment status and salary into the credit scores they calculate.

James Jones

Yes Mr jones but being self/employed doesn't mean you can't buy a comfy sofa on credit.

Anyway your one to talk about lenders taking in salary YOU DON'T but decide to give scores out.
  • BugsyBrowne
    tommyjj wrote: »
    I have a good credit score according to Experian. I have had a credit card for more than 12 months on which I have been paying more than the minimum at the requested intervals.

Aside from that I had a personal loan a few years ago that was all paid off as prescribed.

I have never missed a loan/card payment and have never had CCJs etc etc

If I have poor credit history then everyone in the country must have one.

The control these agencies have over you is absurd, yet the retail and banking sector band around 0% loans like there's no tomorrow. Seriously, what's the acceptance rate for this kind of a deal?

Look whatever way you like you failed to secure a sofa on finance because the company in question thinks your a high risk for credit end of!!

And remember please take no notice of experian and their worthless pathetic unrealistic boll*ks scores.
  • CTA_2
    CTA_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Look whatever way you like you failed to secure a sofa on finance because the company in question thinks your a high risk for credit end of!!

And remember please take no notice of experian and their worthless pathetic unrealistic boll*ks scores.

having a good day today my friend?
    DISCLAIMER - Whilst I am a qualified and practicing CTA any advice i provide should not be relied upon as i have no possibility of confirming individual circumstances. Any advice i provide is merely a guide and provided in my free time.
  • Okydoky25
    Okydoky25 Posts: 1,139
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Getting back on track with OP original question you should be entitled to your money back. Similar but not same intubation I bought a sofa off dfs on a fri, changed my mind over the weekend went in on the Monday and cancelled the order. (salesman was less than happy) it did however take 2 weeks to refund my money.

Dont know if it makes any dif either but the sofa I was buying was ex display and ready to take away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure