customs/import tax from UK to morocco?

hi guys

sorry to post this on here as its not strictly relevant to this Forum but i thought I would try.

I used DHL express deleivery service to send a T'shirt and small horse shoe wallet to Morocco as a gift.

No one explained there would be customs ripping open my carefully wrapped gifts and deciding that tax was payable on them (in Morocco, not UK).

Basically, DHL asked me the value of the shipment when I was paying for the service - for insurance purposes. Being an honest idot i told them the truth - £100.

when my parcel reached Morocco, they CONTACTED THE RECIPIENT (was a gift for the receiver) and asked him to pay 62% on the value of the parcel (ie £62) in order to clear it from customs.

Im not sure why they didnt just charge me.

My question is - is there a way of caluclating moroccan import tax, local taxes etc BEFORE i send an item next time?

I found this site - the Moroccan version of HMRC - and it has a document which, supposedly, provides the CODES for customs to calulcate the tariffs due. its a French document:

douane.gov.ma/tarif/~tarif.htm

I dont speak french but I think it simply gives the codes without any instruction on how to use them.

so does anyone know if there is an international customs site/forum that will help me calculate dues for next time?

im p***ed because I used the express DHL service (£39.95) for a small package - but I guess im paying for it now as my parcel has been stuck at customs for a week as im trying to figure out whether this 62% is correct and, secondly, how to get money over to them in order to clear customs!!

Are their any ebayers out there, or regular traders to Morocco that can help?

I cant believe a Barcelona football shirt and purse are going to end up costing me over £200 just to cross 3000 miles man!

Also - anyone know WHY these charges are payable just cos they are being transported alone whereas if I travelled into country with them in hand - customs wouldnt bat an eyelid?

ANY HELP/ADVICE/INFO will be greatly appreciated!!!

(62% on a tshirt and man bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

chichiya x

Comments

• Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2010 at 10:38PM
    Customs charges/taxes are between the local customs services and the importer/recipient. The exporter (yourself) is not liable.

I'm not sure how you stand with gift items, but perhaps they are spot-checking gifts because they believe people are mis-labelling goods for import as gifts, or the customs men were simply as bent as a nine-bob note and looking for ways to get their hands in the till. Either way, the recipient should be the one to take it up with their local customs agency. In the mean time, perhaps sending items to Morocco isn't a great idea. Also, although you answered honestly, importing gifts over a certain amount (in the UK it's round about £30-£40) are liable for duty too. This is highlighted at the airport when you arrive anywhere, so if you declared a value of £100, it's likely that even gifts of that value are subject to tax.

I don't think you are liable at all and although you obviously may want to send other items to Morocco, this is not something you can easily pay on behalf of the recipient. He is paying (albeit completely extortionate, but many developing countries place high taxes on imports for some unknown and rather foolish and self-defeating reason) his own local taxes on his own items. If you feel that Moroccan customs are easier to approach when arriving with the goods at the airport yourself, it may be a better idea to transport goods that way.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Most carriers have options on whether the sender or receiver pays the import charges but in the end they still need to be paid. As has been said all countries including the UK make charges for imports unless they are within the EC.

Underdeclaring the value is illegal and not in your interests as that will be the maximum you could claim if it is lost or damaged.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    I have no clue why you didn't send this Royal Mail as it sounds as if it should be under two kilos.
    Freight companies are always scrutinised by customs. That import rate is the highest imposed by Morocco, but there is no guaranteed way of avoiding it.
  • Thank you all for your responses.

After the package being held for over 10 days, customs finally sent me the break down of their charges (i still think the figures are fabricated) and I have set up a temporary account with DHL so they send me an invoice for the bill and I will pay it in due course.

The only bit of advice I was given - by the customs officer in Morocco(!!!) was to undervalue all incoming goods, second hand or new to less than £30. this way, they sail through.

My invoice will be £62 which im not happy about obviously, because I could have just used the royal mail 10 day service for a smaller charge.

thanks for your responses guy, i will not be sending anymore goods, gifts or otherwise to Morocco. there is not point unless you can calculate/estimate the taxes and duties payable on the other side. Morocco just isnt there yet!

chichi X
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    chichiya wrote: »
    i will not be sending anymore goods, gifts or otherwise to Morocco. there is not point unless you can calculate/estimate the taxes and duties payable on the other side. Morocco just isnt there yet!

chichi X
    I think with any country there are likely to be unexpected costs of importing. There are plenty of threads on here of people buying from foreign countries and finding it is not such a bargain after they get the extra bill.

I think it is up to the recipient to investigate the charges. Senders can not be expected to know the import costs for foreign countries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure