Wednesday 5th December - What small DFW things will you do today?

Nottoobadyet
Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 5 December 2012 at 9:35AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important.
:money:

Good morning, everyone! Hope you dont mind an old face starting the thread today.

Havent been online as life is a disaster. Most of you know the story of the burglaries and my fights to get money out of the security company that is liable, but somehow the stress of all this has totally messed with my head. Its like someone has switched off the machine that allows me to deal with stress, and everything from work to just paying the bills has me on the edge of a panic attack. Im constantly snapping at OH and inefficient at the office. I need to get myself together :(

I also need to learn to "chill" about money. For so long I've been desperately paying off debt or saving that the fact that I need to pay out for replacing necessities is driving me to distraction. OH remains broke so the pressure is on me to pull us through. The good thing is that I can afford it, the bad thing is that its stressing me out and mucking up my long term goals.

In DFW today:
- Mealplan for week
- make appointment with a therapist (checked yesterday to ensure it can be covered by my international insurance)
- get rent from roommies
- peanut butter and bannana sandwich for brekkie, lunch provided by work, cooking at home for tea
- call URA to work out what I need to do about the logbook for the new bike I need to buy
- withdraw money to buy the bike tomorrow
- pay water bill
- email lawyer friend for a suggestion on who can help us with the case for less than an arm and leg
- budget a bit, maybe that will help with the anxiety!
- check banking
- work hard to catch up on things at the office

Think thats everything - hugs to all!
Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
:DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
Taking my frugal life on the road!

Comments

• mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Aww sweetie, chin up! I don't know what's been going on with you, but I hope you get it sorted. As these old sayings go, these things are sent to try us :)

Today I will -

Check banking
    Check onepoll
    Do swagbucks
    Check competition boards (want an advent win!)
    All food/meals from stores
    Need to get a hold of my niece to check films for my brother and his wife's christmas present
    Need to make a start on christmas tree decorations
    Re-check my christmas present list, see what I still need to buy

Can't think of anything else :)
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 December 2012 at 3:05PM
    Morning all :) thanks Nottoobadyet for starting us off and sorry to hear things are so tough just now (((hugs)))

List for today:
    • Have bath, thermals on ..... heating off Heating on atm as it's bloomin' freezing this morning! Discovered yesterday that the poncho I bought a while ago (http://www.mandco.com/jumpers/roll-neck-poncho/invt/1145541orange/&bklist=icat,5,10,10010,10010030,10010030180) is fab for an extra layer around the house - not too restrictive as your arms are free & keeps the neck warm!:T
    • B / L / D from stores - Raid freezer for lunch & roast chicken tonight (roll over from yesterday as fell asleep so this didn't get done then :o)
    • Don’t smoke
    • Check online banking & shuffle as needed
    • Sort cats & Tidy up
    • Update spreadsheets
    • Check cat food swap / sale site Got a lovely parcel with a couple of things to try yesterday :)
    • Check e*bay listings
    • Knit DMs Christmas scarf .... running out of time! :eek: Ohhhh still not finished this
    • Try to have a walk Very chilly this morning .... will need lots of layers!
    • Work on budgets - think some re-jigging is needed:o
    • Find camping stove & put somewhere handy (for power cuts)
    • Take pics of things to e*bay - find more stuff to sell!
    • Washing & hang up Done
    • Start searching online for Xmas pressies:eek:
    • Hope 10% off voucher comes today so I can order dog & cats' food Still no sign of this - cats food OK but still need dog wet food
    • Finish marking up weekday "to do" notebook Up to May!
    • Sort through mags & remove recipes & find somewhere to put them! Recycle what's left (thanks Jonno!)
    • Phone chemist to see if they owe me any meds - I have loads of everything except one type which is a bit odd .... I was supposed to pick up prescription from Drs after OH Appt yest & forgot :o Arrrrrr they don't have any outstanding to be collected .... trip to the Drs it is then and it's started to snow!:(
    • If chemist don't owe me any meds, I'll have to make special trip to Drs (8 miles :() for new prescription - unfortunately don't have enough to last until Fri when I'm going to the hospital Been & back ..... really icey out there & glad I'm home in the warm!
    • Debate about whether to order another set of thermals - looks like I'm going to be in the house at least another month - struggling with just 2 sets & constantly having to wash so there's a clean set
    • Sort cats food cupboard out and see what there is (DM managed to get me some more stuff on Sun when the 25% offer was on at Mr T:T) Done! Have quite a lot now & should last a couple of months:)
    • Make breadcrumbs from bread left and freeze Done
    • Make a start on sorting through receipts drawer and decluttering it (date back to at least 2004!) Receipts to 2011 thrown away!
    • Added pay c/card bill Online banking chucked a wobbly :( & balance didn't update ... spent ages on phone & now sorted!:)
    • Added phone garage re servicing for new car - 1st service (before I bought it) was done late so not sure if next one is a year from that date or the date it should've been done - also want to check cost as online it says £280:eek: The dates in the service book I've got are wrong (it was missing & someone made one up for me) - next service not due until Aug '13 which is fabby as it gives me a bit longer to save for it (£250) - to pop in & they'll sort the service book to avoid any future problems:T
    Have a lovely hump day everyone :)

I'm going for a sleep now!
    ;)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    My god woman, find that camping stove!! :rotfl:
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • :rotfl:I know ..... I've had several hunts and just can't find it :( it's def in the garage but really need to dig it out (if I can't find it now, I'll not have a hope in what not when there's no power).

Promise to have another dig for it today:o
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Morning all,

I might join in today, if you don't mind ;).

Not alot on today, but when I am home all day I lack focus and can end up chatting to you guys all day so this thread might help me achieve the necessary.

[STRIKE]
    Balance Spreadsheet with online banking [/STRIKE] DONE
    Tidy kitchen breakfast mess.
    Put on load of washing
    Lift out sausage meat for sausage rolls
    Figure out whats for dinner & lift meat out
    Condition & brush out new dried sheepskins
    Bake a cake for packed lunches.

Does anyone know if you can make rough puff pastry with Flora margerine?? I usually use butter but we are all out, and wanted to make some sausage rolls for hubby & kids as a change from sandwiches. As per usual the lack of something is trying to make me ruin my NSD :mad:

Hope you are all having a good Wednesday. xx
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2012 at 4:38PM
    Good Morning my lovelies

ntby - Thanks for starting us off and sorry to hear things are so tough for you atm - sending massive hugs and lots of love :A.
    dnms - Your sewing plans sound great and CONGRATS on the job interviews, hope the kitchen renovations are going well too.
    rfta - remember to rest too and give your body the best chance to recover

Hi to all the regulars and welcome to any lurkers and newbies :wave:, you've joined a FAB supportive thread.

Have little one off school again this week but have finally been able to get a Drs appointment for this afternoon so hopefully they will give us something more than Calpol. Todays little list

Check Banks - Done
    Check swapits - Done
    Check Postcode on www.freepostcodelottery.com - Done
    Work (11.30-1.30) - Done (2.15 finish again)
    Make a couple of Christmas decs with little one -
    Clean patio doors and get little one to decorate - Done (inside)
    Print Snowman Soup labels -
    make free calendar on www.bagsoflove.co.uk/calendars/free-personalised-photo-calendar/ -
    Wrap few Christmas pressies -
    General Tidy round - Done
    Meals from stores - Done
    Update Christmas List and see whats left to get -
    Chase up work for password so I can access my payslip -
    Investigate selling knitting mags & books for mum -
    Update Food Tracker - in progress (35lb, so far)
    Comps -
    Read - in progress
    Knit -

Hope you have all had a great day, love to you all :A

C xx
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 26/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Morning All. Thanks for starting us off Nottobadyet. Hope you manage to get sorted, make sure you sort some 'you' time in there.

Congrats on the interview DNMS - hope they go well :)

My list for today:

Email work as it's pay day and they have messed up my first maternity pay leaving me about £200 short :eek: Not good. :mad:
    Updated spreasheet with new figures, and moved money to various accounts. Annoying as it doesn't look as good as it should.
    Meals from stores
    Wrap some more presents, make my own tags from left over christmas cards
    Pop to PO and send one christmas present
    drop box off at charity shop (next to PO)
    Pop to friends for a cuppa later if she texts me back
    Ends of bread in freezer for breadcrumbs another time
    Search out more magsazines to get recipes from - did loads yesterday - may have to venture to garage for this :o
    No heating on whilst at home in day alone - extra jumper instead.
    If time, energy and baby has inclination - give birth :o Not holding much hope for this one today though :)

have a good day everyone :)
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I love reading everyone's lists from check spreadsheets, find camping stoves to give birth! :)

Didn't do horrid banking thing yesterday. Ah putting it off.

After being optimistic last night of cobbling some koftas together it was an unmitigated disaster. And we got a takeaway. But today MSE head back on again and I know we have some options for dinner tonight.

So fair to say struggling a bit today. Focus will resume shortly :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Afternoon all!

Nottoobadyet - thanks for starting us off. I hope you feel better soon :grouphug:

jonno - if you write it on your list enought times the baby might take notice

RFTA - see above and replace baby with camping stove? ;)

DNMS - stop finding my shameful other posts :rotfl:(see yesterday's thread!)

Well today is another new day. Last night I attemped to condition OH's hair by rubbing olive oil in and leaving over night. Cheaper than deep conditioning treatment hopefully!

Also tried to make some tasty cous cous salad for lunch and failed. Def decided that the cheap veggie stock cubes I bought are VILE. They taste of pure celery (which makes me yack at the best of times)

So today's plan:

No breakfast (naughty naughty) in attempt to cancel out last night's late cheese on toast snack

Lunch - bought from Asda (after cous cous fail and had a real hankering for pesto). Have bought various lunchbox bits for through the week. Also got some reduced milk which can put in freezer.

Dinner - WILL be from stores! :p (it was last night honest!).

Check online banking (done, cc statement through)

If get home at reasonable time, make bread. If not, stop at Tesco and look for reduced bread.

Charge phone in work

Read Martin's email :money:

Cut out the other cushion cover using fabric given to me for free.

Tack cushion covers

Think this is me. Need to really decide what I'm going to do for dinner so I don't end up with beans on toast again :o

Have a good afternoon guys x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2012 at 3:29PM

[STRIKE]
    Balance Spreadsheet with online banking [/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Tidy kitchen breakfast mess.[/STRIKE]
    Put on load of washing
    [STRIKE]Lift out sausage meat for sausage rolls
    Figure out whats for dinner & lift meat out[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Condition & brush out new dried sheepskins[/STRIKE]
    Bake a cake for packed lunches.

Well am getting there slowly. Have lifted out some lambs liver for dinner. Family are very suspicious of it but its really tasty so they will have to get used to it.

Some of you guys have really long lists, i feel rubbish with the length of my list:o.

Hope you are all getting on well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport