Letter from DWP saying coming for home visit

Hi

I'm looking for a little bit of advice regarding a letter we received for my husband this morning from the DWP but first I will give you a little bit of background information.

My husband had an accident in work and has damaged his spine causing him severe pain and a loss of mobility. He's been off work 11 months and has got worse as the time has progressed. He's currently under a GP, pain consultant and surgeon. Last December he was assessed as having 20% disability for industrial injuries and at the time was only taking zapain for his pain. It was a provisional assessment and was reassessed a few weeks ago and now on morphine, pregabalin, zapain and diazepam. His condition has deteriorated a lot and he was awarded just 20% again so I appealed it. In the mean time he was also sent for a medical for ESA and awarded the work related group which I also appealed as he's not fit enough to attend monthly interviews and sit in those chairs. Most days he can't get out at all as the morphine causes him to be too drowsy. He is suppost to have an appointment this Monday for a work related interview which I will probably have to cancel depending how he is Monday. I have already advised this in appeal letter.

So this morning a letter arrives from the DWP saying:

Dear Mr ........

The pension service, disability and carers service and jobcentre plus work in partnership to provide a combined service for our customers.

I am writing to advise that Mrs ...... Is coming to visit you on 23/06/11 in the morning between 9-12. Please note we will not be able to state a specific time.

The visit will take place at your home address.

Reason for visit

We are coming to visit you regarding your social security benefits.

Your sincerely

Local service director

Does anyone know what this visit will be for? I've been reading stuff on Internet and it's saying that they only come out if there stopping your benefit etc so now I'm worried as we have a mortgage to pay etc

We all have a DLA claim going through a tribunal at present

Thanks in advance

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    If he is as genuine as you say, you will have no trouble, however they have a new set of wolves now that dont fall for pulling the wool over the tax payers eyes.
    So dont worry, if your genuine they will support the claim.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2011 at 1:13PM
    I agree with Vax, dont worry yourself over it. Its normal practice.

They come to verify that you are who yu say you are, and to check that you are
    a. on the correct benefits
    b. claiming all that youre entitled to.

They are, believe it or not on your side if youre a genuine claimant.

You might end up being to claim an extra benefit.

Is your OH on DLA, if not, they may be able to establish whether its worth claiming.

PS and dont listen to scaremongers.

Just relax and offer them a cuppa when they arrive.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Morgan2403
    Morgan2403 Posts: 14 Forumite
    He is genuine I was just worried as I'd never heard of them doing home visits before only medical home visits which he's had. We have scans and doctors letters etc saying that he is not fit for work and has had many procedures done at hospital to try and ease his pain which haven't been successful yet.

Many thanks it's really appreciated
  • wottonby
    wottonby Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2011 at 1:50PM
    Morgan2403 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for a little bit of advice regarding a letter we received for my husband this morning from the DWP but first I will give you a little bit of background information.

My husband had an accident in work and has damaged his spine causing him severe pain and a loss of mobility. He's been off work 11 months and has got worse as the time has progressed. He's currently under a GP, pain consultant and surgeon. Last December he was assessed as having 20% disability for industrial injuries and at the time was only taking zapain for his pain. It was a provisional assessment and was reassessed a few weeks ago and now on morphine, pregabalin, zapain and diazepam. His condition has deteriorated a lot and he was awarded just 20% again so I appealed it. In the mean time he was also sent for a medical for ESA and awarded the work related group which I also appealed as he's not fit enough to attend monthly interviews and sit in those chairs. Most days he can't get out at all as the morphine causes him to be too drowsy. He is suppost to have an appointment this Monday for a work related interview which I will probably have to cancel depending how he is Monday. I have already advised this in appeal letter.

So this morning a letter arrives from the DWP saying:

Dear Mr ........

The pension service, disability and carers service and jobcentre plus work in partnership to provide a combined service for our customers.

I am writing to advise that Mrs ...... Is coming to visit you on 23/06/11 in the morning between 9-12. Please note we will not be able to state a specific time.

The visit will take place at your home address.

Reason for visit

We are coming to visit you regarding your social security benefits.

Your sincerely

Local service director

Does anyone know what this visit will be for? I've been reading stuff on Internet and it's saying that they only come out if there stopping your benefit etc so now I'm worried as we have a mortgage to pay etc

We all have a DLA claim going through a tribunal at present

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me that you have a 'fairy godmother'!

I had two assessments for IIDB in a 4 year period and was awarded 80% disability.
    When it came to renew at the end of the 4 year period, I had another medical as usual and the DWP/ATOS doctor not only said that he had never heard of a common drug (Lithium), prescribed by my psychiatrist, used for a mental health condition! (That was one of 4 drugs that I was prescribed!)
    Consequently the doctor wrote in his report that he didn't believe that I even had mental health issues and refused all of the IIDB claim. So I went from 80% for 4 years then nothing. I've still had nothing for the past 7 years, despite evidence that I am was and still am, under the care of the local hospital mental health unit and have been sectioned twice!

Besides that, they used that IIDB report to cancel my DLA claim as well. Was on HRC & LRM. Not had any DLA & Care Allowance awards either for the past 7 years!

So to have someone to come out to want to help you claim everything you are entitled to is like a dream come true!
  • wottonby
    wottonby Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2011 at 1:52PM
    McKneff wrote: »

Is your OH on DLA, if not, they may be able to establish whether its worth claiming.

Where do these angels from the DWP come from? I would love to have had one call on me over the past 7 years!!

I wouldn't mind one knocking at my door without an appointment right now!!

Tea? Coffee? They could have anything and a cake to go with it.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has anyone else reported the Troll on this thread?
  • Morgan2403
    McKneff wrote: »
    I agree with Vax, dont worry yourself over it. Its normal practice.

Sorry only just seen full post now it must of been edited after my reply. We applied for DLA in October 2011 but was refused and it went to tribunal. My husband has deteriorated a lot since the original application was submitted and the tribunal was held without my husband as he was too ill so we requested a paper hearing. They adjourned it as there wasn't any doctors reports and they sent a doctor to us. We are still waiting for the tribunal to be heard again but we do update them with changes in medication and letters from surgeons and consultants which are sent to our doctor.

Thanks for your help
  • Morgan2403
    edited 20 June 2011 at 10:57AM
    Just an update. I did have to cancel my husbands initial ESA interview with him bring too ill to attend. I mentioned that I'd appealed as I thought he should be in the support group. I mentioned the letter and asked if she thought it was regarding my appeal. She said she didn't know but told me to call them and ask. I called them and was advised it was due to an overpayment of ESA. We were already aware of this as we were overpaid for 4 weeks as they hadn't taken the 20% IIB into consideration even though it says on initial ESA form. I don't know why they couldn't of sorted it by letter or phone but instead there visiting.
    Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport