self contained shower cubicles

I want to buy a self-contained shower cubicle to prevent the inevitable leaks. Has anyone every bought one and could you recommend makes, styles and things-to-look-out-for?
Thanks.

Comments

• Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    I haven't got one but I noticed this feature when we holidayed in a modern caravan recently - It was really cool and I want one too, I shall watch this thread with interest! :)
  • Janey213
    Janey213 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I had found the kinedo showers myself, so it's good to know that someone else recommends them. Thanks
  • uncle_buck_3
    uncle_buck_3 Posts: 360 Forumite
    A good friend of mine is completely renovating his house & in his newly finished bathroom he fitted a self contained shower, it also has the added benefits of having a steam room function as well as a Jacuzzi function!
    He looked around all of the usual bathroom supply companies & the lowest price he found was around the £3000 mark…..he eventually got one from eBay for just over £1000 delivered!

I helped him fit the unit & I was very impressed with the quality of it.

HTH
  • tim158
    tim158 Posts: 98 Forumite
    uncle_buck wrote:
    A good friend of mine is completely renovating his house & in his newly finished bathroom he fitted a self contained shower, it also has the added benefits of having a steam room function as well as a Jacuzzi function!
    He looked around all of the usual bathroom supply companies & the lowest price he found was around the £3000 mark…..he eventually got one from eBay for just over £1000 delivered!

I helped him fit the unit & I was very impressed with the quality of it.

HTH

I have been looking at thes to, to replace the bath as we have a small bathroom.

Was it hard to fit and do you have any recommendations

Many thanks

Tim
  • griff.
    griff. Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just finished renovating our bathroom.

I also hunted the net for offers on shower cublicles, and like you I was keen to get a self contained one. I was delighted therefore when I came across a s/c unit in our B@Q superstore for £399 with all the equipment you need.

The nearest lookalike is the http://www.showerright.co.uk/opus_quadrant_cubicle.htm

Mines has 9 jet showers, and a main normal adjustable up and down one (the head has 4 different settings). There is a mirror, seat, shelfing, and the shower tray has an adjustable height for uneven floors. Apart from a couple of small leaks where I hadn't siliconed properly (that's what I get for not reading instructions) it was very east to erect and instal..and I'm well chuffed with it.

I bought it in early May 2006, it wasn't a special store offer or anything, as another B&Q store had it as well - you just need to have a look in the stores themselves - I was also surprised because it was never advertised on their web site either.

Hope it may still be there for you !
  • tim158 wrote:
    I have been looking at thes to, to replace the bath as we have a small bathroom.
    Was it hard to fit and do you have any recommendations

Many thanks

Tim

The unit came in 3 big & I mean big boxes…It took 3 of us to lift one of the boxes!
    The top half of his shower is all made of glass (the back walls & sliding doors etc.) so it is a very heavy item.

Whilst I was very impressed with the overall quality of the shower, the assembly instructions were very poor…..but it wasn’t that hard to figure out how to assemble it….looking at the bits it was quite self explanatory.

The base came complete with all the plumbing pre installed for the Jacuzzi & steam function, all we had to do was to assemble the top half (the glass panels & shower control panel).

Plumbing it in was very easy….all that required connecting were 2 flexible steel braided hoses to the hot & cold pipes & obviously the waste.

There were 2 electrical connections to be made but these were also pre wired & fitted with a UK 3 pin plug…there was also a RCD circuit breaker fitted in line just after the plug on both cables.

So an electrical supply (double socket) would have to be hooked up in your bathroom, or the plugs could be removed from the ends of the cables & the unit could be wired in to spur units….these are in my friends case behind the shower unit & well out of the way in case of water spillage or a flood…the shower unit would have to be moved forward to gain access to the sockets.

This is the shower my mate has:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steam-Room-Power-Shower-SPA-Bath-with-Massage_W0QQitemZ320007542346QQihZ011QQcategoryZ32875QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As you will see from the dimensions of the above unit it’s quite a size….however if you have a look you will see that they come in all shapes & sizes.

HTH
  • LJW_2
    LJW_2 Posts: 354 Forumite
    Hi, I too am looking at buying one of these shower cubicles but our water pressure is quite poor and it takes about 20 minutes to fill the bath. The water board have been out and said it was ok. Does the cubicle come with a device that would inprove the pressure? sorry can't remember what it's called!!
  • LJW_2
    LJW_2 Posts: 354 Forumite
    He he he, just noticed this post was started in 2006!!!
  • I know this was from a few years ago but in case anyone is looking for the same thing without wanting to spend a fortune (or, worse, having to buy a shower enclosure second hand! :mad: Not a good idea!.. here's my advice...)

I found it really easy to find a shower enclosure at Bathroomtrade.co.uk in the size I needed , they seem to always have a sale on (ie...they're all between 20-60% off at the moment, hoorah!)....

Just a tip! :):) :T

Hint: Before you buy a shower enclosure or shower cubicle (this link is for SELF CONTAINED cubicles) online, check out the delivery cost (the bathroomtrade site is free if over £150) and find out their warranty on their shower enclosures and shower trays! Most shower cubicles should come with at least a 10 year guarantee!

Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport