Fibre optic christmas tree halogen bulb change

I only put the new tree up 2 days ago and the bulbs gone. I've had trouble finding the same bulb anywhere but I've just rang one shop and they said they have the bulb but its got a glass cover over it where as the one that was in the tree is just an open top one would this matter?
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As long as the bulb is of the same specification as the others on your lights and it fits this won't matter.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We had trouble getting a replacement bulb for ours, although it is the one with the built in reflector (which I assume is what they mean by a glass cover). Our's uses 10W halogen bulbs which are like hens teeth, but we eventually found a 'Johnny A'hing' shop which stocked them at £1.50 so we bought a few to keep.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the glass cover as long as it's the same voltage and wattage, the pin spacing is the same (so it fits in the socket) and there's enough room for the 'glass cover' to fit.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • If they are halogen, be careful.

Halogen bulbs should not be touched with fingers! The glass cover gets SO hot, that oils from fingers will fry on there, and burn out the bulb MUCH quicker. THis is due to a burnt residue on the surface that stops heat from leaving the bulb as easily, resulting in a over heating bulb!

Just a tip :)

Matt.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Good point Matt, although it's not quite so important with those which have a built in reflector ('glass cover') as in this case, as they have a second layer of glass protecting the first which is the one that gets really hot. If Lady_K manages to find a direct replacement for the original, then use some kitchen towel or a (non-Balsam!) paper tissue between fingers and glass when fitting.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well its got the 2 pins under it but then its like a small golf ball cut in half and shiney inside but theres no cover on the old one accross the top of the half ball thingy. I presume the lady means its got a flat cover over the half ball shape.

The tree only needs one of these in the base to light the whole tree (was a right rigmarole to get it out)
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family