Ebay Wedding Dresses

Hi Guys,

I've just started the very daunting task of organising our wedding for September 2009. The venue we've fallen in love with is very expensive (we're working on getting them to give us a discount at the moment) so everything else needs to be budget.

Fortunately the venue costs include most of the other things we would normally have to take into account so where i'm looking to make my savings is mainly on the dress.

I have seen a dress I saw on another site for £750, and on ebay there is a company in China who will make it to order for around £100. Now I know that paying £100 means it won't be to the same quality, but has anyone here ordered any similar and are able to tell me how the dress was? My main concerns are that there will be no boning in the bodice and that the material quality will be poor and turn yellow after a few months (as i've heard can happen)

If anyone has done this, your stories (horror or not!) would be much appreciated.

Thanks x
After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!

Comments

• Hi,
    I've ordered mine from eBay at a cost of about £100. I'm expecting it in the next 3 weeks.

I contacted some of the buyers from her feedback first and they were very pleased. Another MSEr also bought from the same seller and she loves her dress (see thread the dress has arrived).

I could never have afforded the original of my dress and have had it made to my measurements as I am not very tall.

I am only concerned about what it looks like on the day and am not planning on keeping it forever so am not concerned about its staying power.

If you need any further info let me know. I will be posting anyway once it arrives as i know other people want to know if this is a good option to save some cash!
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • Hiya,

Not sure if it is the same company but my best mate got her bridesmaids dresses made up from a photo of an Alfred Angelo one for £70 for two (the original dresses were £130 each in the shop we went to!). The quality is stunning - all hand made and fitted to our exact measurements - and having worn it I can vouch for the quality! The shipping took a while, but all in all, totally worth it. We went to try some on in a bridal shop, picked hte dress we wanted and then asked them to make it up for us.

The only thing I can think of is that another lass I know from a different internet site said that the fabric was very slightly different, but otherwise they pretty much compared like for like at a third of the cost (and didn't really need alterations after either).

The ones we used was www.millybridal.com who I think trade on eBay as Cinderella’s Bridal shop. They also make up designs from photos if they don't have it on the site and will send you swatches of fabric in advance.

Hope that helps a bit!

Edited to add - and the quality of the boning just in the bridesmaids dresses was great - my mum was impressed and she's a dressmaker!
  • i am getting my dress from milly bridal
    i have looked into her feedback and spoken to brides on another site who have highly recommended her
  • i got my dress from bhs internet site bhs.co.uk they are really cheap i got the chloe one for £120
  • hi im also organizing our wedding and looking at wedding dress made in china but have been a little daunted as i have never used e bay before and ordrering from overseas worries me usual worries of quality and measurements(want to lose a few pounds before i go ahead) so would appreciate any feedback good or bad also it says it does not include the underskirt so do i wait for the dress and buy here or order from them?so many questions i know wedding not until november so a bit of time to decide but going very fast.
  • delightful wrote: »
    hi im also organizing our wedding and looking at wedding dress made in china but have been a little daunted as i have never used e bay before and ordrering from overseas worries me usual worries of quality and measurements(want to lose a few pounds before i go ahead) so would appreciate any feedback good or bad also it says it does not include the underskirt so do i wait for the dress and buy here or order from them?so many questions i know wedding not until november so a bit of time to decide but going very fast.

The seller I've ordered from has great instructions about measurements and I asked her loads of questions beforehand. My dress should cost around £900 here which was way out of my price range.

I'm waiting for my dress to arrive before sorting out a petticoat as the style I have ordered has quite a full skirt and I want to see how wide it before deciding. I don't want to end up looking like my Gran's toilet roll holder :rotfl:

Once it gets here I'll try it on and then see. You can get petticoats from ebay for under £20.
  • I don't want to end up looking like my Gran's toilet roll holder .

That's funny... thats exactly the look I'm going for..

Not really ;)
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• lidlest
    lidlest Posts: 249 Forumite
    I ordered my dress from china on ebay - it was only £80 so i thought if it was completly rubbish it wouldn't matter so much. It's not, its lovely... the same material as £1000 dresses over here, similar in style and lovely stitching.
  • lidlest wrote: »
    I ordered my dress from china on ebay - it was only £80 so i thought if it was completly rubbish it wouldn't matter so much. It's not, its lovely... the same material as £1000 dresses over here, similar in style and lovely stitching.

that's exactly how I'm thinking. which seller did you use?

Emailed seller today - dress should be dispatched next week!
  • pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    I've bought bridesmaid dresses, tiara, jewellery, cake topper and all sorts from ebay for my wedding. Lovely things and a fraction of what they would cost in a shop. I've bought my dress from a shop though, I' a bit of a funny size and didn't want to risk ordering the dress and it not fitting properly :o
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport