Real-life MMD: Term-time truancy for a cheap hol

Comments

• mandragora wrote: »
    How is this even a new or interesting question? This issue has been debated to death on here many, many times before. By the end of page three schools will be the only purveyors of anything worthwhile and educational, or fascist authoritarians who have no idea of the realities of family life because all teachers live in an ivory tower, and the parents/grandparents will be encouraged to go on the holiday and think of the penalty notice as an extra little sum to pay, or encouraged to lie, or berated for not putting their child's education first, and no good will ever come of it. By page 6 the issue will represent will be the symbol of all that's wrong in our society. By page nine we might get to 'a boy died once' if we're unlucky. Somewhere along the line we'll have 'Why don't you go camping? It's great fun and never did me any harm' vs 'Why shouldn't we have a family holiday, it's the only way we'll ever get one and our circumstances are very special/tragic/unique'

I'm disappointed this is the most interesting MMD you can come up with - give me 5 minutes and I'll see if I can knock up something fresher. Oh, I know: 'I think my neighbour's a dole cheat, should I tell the authorities or keep schtum because if they have their benefits cut, the children will be even worse off, and I'd never live with myself/they might find out it was me who told'

Love it, hilarious!
  • NO!!!! education is far too important to miss out because a holiday is cheaper during a particular time of year. Your child should be able to enjoy quality time with his grandparents which do not involve a holiday.
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Life is short, so let him go. It will be special for him and his grandparents.

Ask the teachers to give you worksheets he can use to catch up when he gets back, if they're that bothered about what he will miss.
  • No, you shouldn't. Term time is for schooling, school holidays are for holidays. Children these days get a poor enough education as it is without making the problem worse, all of you should save up for a combined holiday.
  • I'm sure it won't harm the child's education at six years old to miss a couple of weeks, what's he gonna miss? Drawing a few pictures in Art and reading a storybook?

But opposing that it's quite funny people describing this rewarding life affirming experience he'll have on holiday with his grandparents. What did you do on your holidays at 6? Kick a ball around, splashed in a pool and a sandpit probably - hardly stuff that is going to shape the rest of your life either.

It doesn't matter either way. Go with your gut instinct.
  • At 6yrs old, this will not have any real effect on his education, so make up an excuse, save some serious money and enjoy.
    GJoJones
    :beer:
  • Let the child go for a week (you haven't specified the length of the holiday) and ask the grandparents to make sure they're all doing or looking at interesting things, and talking to each other, not just lazing about. Family bonding is important.

Be open about it and discuss it with the school, explaining why you think it's important. Be prepared to pay a fine if they insist. Try and avoid taking the child out of school in future.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Don't lie. Easy!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How right you were, mandragora, back in post number 5.

This thread is pointless, predictable, and hardly a moral dilemma at all!
  • Gillsx
    Gillsx Posts: 56 Forumite
    Firstly, the reason you shouldn't take your son out of school for a holiday and why the fines are in place are that his education is very important and he shouldn't miss any of it (and they are off a large chunk of the year so it's valuable time when they are in school!). Yes it's expensive taking him away in the holidays, but this is something people should accept when they have children. It's the holiday companies who are making the money not the education system so don't blame them.

Secondly, as someone with a small child and has accepted the above, I also know how nice it is to go away in term time as an adult and not being inundated with kids..... It's a luxury and something you can look forward to when he is 18.

If you don't care much for the above then get the grandparents to pay the fine or just say no that his education is important.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure