makro v costco, which is best?

Hi there,

I currently have a makro card and hubbys bro has a costco card, although costco is far from us it is near hubbys family and we try to visit every month or so.

I get flyers from makro and buy loo rolls etc when they are on offer but find meat etc can be brought cheaper on offer in tescos etc and when reduced.

Just want to work out whether it is worth us getting a costco card for £14 to use when we go to visit in milton keynes.

The main things we would buy would be:

cartons of juice
meat
toilet rolls
tins
frozen veg

would these be cheaper to buy in bulk than tesco own brand?

thanks
Katie
:money:

Comments

• I have both cards, I don't visit Makro much now as we moved much further away but I do still make regular trips to Costco. To me the quality in Costco far exceeds Makro, so in terms of meat I think it is worth it. I wouldn't touch Makro meat but I think this has a lot to do with the environment in my local Makro, it just feels "cheap". But having said that other things like loo roll and tins and frozen stuff I think you are as good and cheaper at Makro. Makro tends to have a lot more Vat sized tubs while Costco has more pallets of retail size though, I do think the Kirkland brand is really good too at Costco and have never been disappointed with it (we had some lovely shower gel that they haven't stocked for ages), not sure I could say the same about Aro or whatever it is at Makro. So for me it is nice to have both. But I would say my Costco card does pay for itself. We bought our TV from there two months ago, we knew what we wanted and knew the cheapest price on the net and surprisingly they beat it AND we get a 5 year warranty as standard. So we saved a few years worth of membership fees with that one purchase. Whether you could do that with "normal" grocery style purchases I don't know. Just try so hard not to be seduced by the cakes and muffins. They are mmmmmmmm. I think overall you will find Makro cheaper, but if you are fussy about quality then Costco is better in that regard but that is not to say Makro is rubbish of course. I haven't been much help have I? I would say having both is definitely the way to go for me but if money is the bigger consideration then no it isn't worth it.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,837
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I can't comment on costco as we don't have one near, but I have always found Makro meat (joints and steaks) both beef and lamb to be lovely. I wouldn't buy meat from Asda or Morrisons, and only get mince from waitrose or sainsburys lean scotch frozen, so I am extra picky about mince.

as to the title of the thread - harry hill would say "FIGHT" !
  • New_Dude
    New_Dude Posts: 23 Forumite
    To use Makro, you have to apply as a business or be in the public sector (and it's FREE), Costco let any riff-raff in as long as you pay their membership.
  • neiljc_2
    neiljc_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    makro v costco, which is best?

fight!!!!
  • Convenience is money. Which one is nearer? what you save in membership you may pay in petrol.
    PayPal £247.62 Amazon £495.80 cheque £62.41 Love2Shop £90 Bank Transfer £190 Nectar points £55.00 eMasterCard £600
    From:- Swagbucks, Valued Opinions, inbox pounds, Quidco, Royal Mail survey,YouGov, e-rewards,IPOS I-Say, Insite Consulting, Toluna UK, People for research :T
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I have both cards and I much prefer Coscto - we get so much from there each time we visit :-

Bart baked baguettes (v nice)
    Soft drinks & Wines, Beers & Ginger Ale
    Their own brand washing powder (only use this now)
    All their meat (lamb, chicken, sausages, bacon, etc) - I bag it up into batches and freeze it
    Cold meets and cheese
    Muffins and crossaints (again can bag them up and freeze them)
    Hollumi cheese
    Crisps & Nuts
    Shampoo etc, Johnsons Shower Gel etc

I wouldn't say it is really cheap but I find the quality is really good on alot of their products, i didn't join for years as i didn't think that the joining fee was worth paying but now I wouldn't cancel it as go there on a regular basis and get quite alot from there and just stock up. I would say the card pays for itself. Also at Christmas they have so many lovely things and decorations. I've also got some brilliant children's gifts from there. I got some Italian cooking pans with lids that my friend hand and I also got them for others who love them - the quality is outstanding.

I do go to Makro but only occasionally - I find their pricing to be abit confusing sometimes if I'm a hurry where as Costco pricing is v clearly displayed.

I would definately say Coscto is my favourite. Remember you don't have to renew so you could try it for a year and see how you go. The amount of stuff I see people have in their trolleys it's obviously very popular.

I hope this helps :)
  • Star
    Star Posts: 563 Forumite
    I prefer Costco and find their prices cheaper than Macro (special offers excluded), but then Marco is free membership.
    :dance: :dance::dance:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you join costco and aren't satisfied,you can get a refund.
  • We have both memberships, but rarely use Costco. But with both you need to check prices against supermarkets, and remember that just because it's a cash & carry, doesnt automatically mean it's cheaper, - i've often found things cheaper in the supermarket. But saying that, when Makro have their special offers on - especially toilet rolls (triple velvet or andrex) and kitchen rolls (bounty) we stock up, as it makes the price very low.
    I have on occasion bought meat from Makro, but apart from it being quite pricey, it's nothing special to be honest.
    Costco cooked hot chickens (like the ones from the supermarkets) are by far superior to any other supermarket, - but i am really picky about chicken! lol.

Really i think it's like the battle of the supermarkets - there are good and bad things about both, but we could spend days going around each place to get the best bargains couldnt we?!
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Clowance wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy meat from Asda or Morrisons, and only get mince from waitrose or sainsburys lean scotch frozen, so I am extra picky about mince.

i can understand not buying meat from asda`s, i would not touch it if they paid me to, but morrisons meat is lovely, comes in fresh, thay actually have butchers that cut the meat up to your liking, and the prices are competitive, and yes i do work for them but that is not why i am saying this, just that we always get our meat from there as we know it is fresh, not like asda`s, tesco`s and sainsburys, where all there meat comes in pre packed, Dave
    Take every day as it comes!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport