Help Link Jonny Ball new boiler

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Per post #4

Cash price £1789, or Deposit of £ 474 + 120 payments of £17 making £2514 9.9% APR.

Total interest charges: £725.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strange how the deposit of £474 was never mentioned until now!
    So the credit will cost nearly 30% of the total.
    I also suspect that the quoted price is boiler only-what about programmer, TRV's etc?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its in a tiny font under the do the math stuff.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And who would have spotted that. Grr...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    I did not think that fonts came that small. I had to have real hard look to come up with £474 figure. Talk about making sure you read the small print.
    I wonder why they think that picture of an ageing TV personality would make me more likely to go to them than to go anywhere else.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    it'd be cheaper to take out a bank loan and get a local engineer in.
  • I got a quote earlier this week. I didn't know about the ad campaign-found them through an installer search. Advice etc re installation was great BUT as soon as I made it clear I wanted interest free only (they do two year interest free with a maximum deposit) the salesman seemed to lee interest and practically ran out the house. Having had a ridiculous quote from British gas, with one year warranty, and various local installers offering 1-5 year manufacturers warranty, home link 10 year warranty with option to pay without interest over two years seems too good to be true? Where is the catch?
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    local installers around here are offering new combis supply and fit for 1500 quid plus vat. (for 2 & 3 bed houses).
    good brands too.
    Get some gorm.
  • esra_2
    esra_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2012 at 11:14PM
    Our system boiler (in the landing cupboard) packed in a few weeks ago, no big issue, it's not massively cold in the sunny south (Hampshire).

I've had a few quotes; £2,200-3750 and various options - move it to the loft, go combi (nah) etc.. All seem to want to do different things and all seem to 'omit' things.

Oh yeah, and a load of no-shows, never replied & 2 weeks to send me a quote and can't do it for at least 2 weeks.
    What is it with 'the trade' that they do a great impression of can't be arsed/take it or leave it?).

So had Help-Link around today and the guy, who was very affable, said they could do it in a week at most: a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri in the loft, with a sealed system, Powerflush, Magnaclean AND board out the loft AND put in a light AND put in a loft ladder - £2,800.

Other considerations: 10 year parts & labour, 2 years interest free.

Compared to the other players, not such a bad deal.

I do have cash if we want to pay in one lump but I think Martin would approve of placing the lump sum in an interest bearing account for 2 years.

Anyone got any comments on Help-Link?

Anyone want to make me a better offer?
  • esra_2
    esra_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I was really interested in this and rang up last night. Basically the deal is:
    £17 a month to pay for 10 years
    A bank loan via Barclays
    9.9% APR, which to be fair isn't bad

I guess a way to look at it is that BG want between £10.50 & £18.50 a month for a maintenance plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure