do i have to pay for eye tests and glasses if on esa?

i need new glasses, i remember that i had help before with glasses and an eye test when i was receiving jobseekers allowance, does anybody know how it works with esa?

thanks ever so much if you can help me out

Comments

• bobajob_1966
    bobajob_1966 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    If you are receiving means tested ESA, you qualify for help with health costs. If you received contributions based ESA you will not qualify, but you may be able to receive help by completing a HC1 (Help with Health Costs) form.
  • If you are receiving means tested ESA, you qualify for help with health costs. If you received contributions based ESA you will not qualify, but you may be able to receive help by completing a HC1 (Help with Health Costs) form.
    i think it's income-related esa, is that the same as means tested?
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Tesco do a free eye test, whilst www.lensway.co.uk are cheap beyond cheap for glasses and are always doing offers.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 October 2011 at 5:19AM
    ronw wrote: »
    i think it's income-related esa, is that the same as means tested?

Yep.. Income related is means tested. Contribution based isn't. Your award letter (where it gives a breakdown of how much they're paying you) should reference which type.

I got a free eye test (due to being on IR ESA), a cheap pair of glasses (because IR ESA qualifies you to an NHS Optical voucher and I used it to get the glasses)... and I got lucky because it was done through Specsavers who also gave me contact lenses for free and a couple of checkups to make sure they're okay. All I had to do was book appointment for eye test and when there tell them I'm entitled to Free NHS Eye Test and Optical voucher... took proof of benefit award (as directed) but they never asked to see it.

This link seems an excellent one to cover most questions you should have.
    http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Eyecarecosts.aspx
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Specsavers will do a free eye test and you can get free glasses... or if you want more expensive ones they take off the cost of the NHS free ones, which is about £39 if I remember rightly! HTH
  • thanks very much for the advice, i think my last test i got with my jsa and discounted glasses was about 2 years ago, would i be eligible for new eye test and glasses now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure