IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

toby carvery

Comments

• Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2012 at 7:40PM
    Interesting. You complain about inconsiderate parking in a hospital car park and now block someone in (which, legally, is the same as clamping them, ie. depriving them of the use of their property) in a pub car park.

Mind you, I'd have probably done the same. But that's because I'm a vindictive !!!!!!!.

I have every sympathy for anyone that pays good money to provide a car park for their customers, and then finds non-customers using it. But, unfortunately, there isn't a legal way of enforcing this. Using a PPC isn't the answer. The only real solution is a receipted ticket exit barrier. A local (slightly) out-of-town department store uses this, and it works.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Even if you don't buy a ticket but spend money in the pub, the pub's losses are zero as they would have given you back the money.

Easiest way is to avoid that pub, tell your friends/family/work collegues to do the same,.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Interesting. You complain about inconsiderate parking in a hospital car park and now block someone in (which, legally is the same as clamping them - depriving them of the use of their property) in a pub car park.

Mind you, I'd have probably done the same. But that's because I'm a vindictive !!!!!!!.

I have every sympathy for anyone that pays good money to provide a car park for their customers, and then finds non-customers using it. But, unfortunately, there isn't a legal way of enforcing this. Using a PPC isn't the answer. The only real solution is a receipted ticket exit barrier. A local (slightly) out-of-town department store uses this, and it works.

It's the same complaint. I don't like inconsiderate parking. Be it in a hospital, or a pub, (and not wishing to discuss the hospital case, but simply saying sometimes they're abused), or a supermarket, someone paid for the carpark, it's a cost to the business, and I want to use it correctly. It shouldn't take a barrier to enforce it. (This pub could fit in about 15 cars, parked nose to tail 4 deep. A barrier would have been ridiculous really) The middle ground is good, and the right to trespass isn't my viewpoint. (And I'm really vindictive too)
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Even if you don't buy a ticket but spend money in the pub, the pub's losses are zero as they would have given you back the money.

Easiest way is to avoid that pub, tell your friends/family/work collegues to do the same,.

They're not. The pub would give a discount of say £2, providing you spent money with them. So the losses aren't zero, as they still make a profit by you going in, and possible repeat business from it. Whereas if you don't shop there, then they are losing the potential of a paying customer whose space you're in, that may not come back for future visits either.
  • Walaboobah
    Walaboobah Posts: 307
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    mikey72 wrote: »
    They're not. The pub would give a discount of say £2, providing you spent money with them. So the losses aren't zero, as they still make a profit by you going in, and possible repeat business from it. Whereas if you don't shop there, then they are losing the potential of a paying customer whose space you're in, that may not come back for future visits either.

Read what he said
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "possible" "potential" "future".

All meaningless when it comes to losses
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The legal term is "speculative".

By parking over a white line, I couldn't park where I wanted to. Therefore, as I had to walk further to and from the shops, I didn't have time to buy the lottery ticket I intended to. Therefore, you owe me the £68M I might have won.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And how can a supermarket calculate the takings from a supposed "lost customer". 40p for a bar of chocolate or £400 for a case of vintage champagne?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I visit my local Toby (Barnet), but because I know the parking situation, I make sure I have £2 with me. I don't mind paying this knowing that I can get the money back.

There is a Council car park directly opposite - £2 per hour, and no refund !

Our local M&S Simply Food store where again you pay for parking and get it refunded from your purchases. Most times I have the money, one time I didn't so I explained it to the attendant who seems always to be in the car park. He said "I will give you 10 minutes" ! As I knew what I wanted I was in /out within 10 minutes.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • He said "I will give you 10 minutes" !

Arrogant jumped up powerless little toerag!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure