Do I do a CLAIT course or not

Ive noticed on some application forms it asks for ClAIT or a ECDL and having a look at is covered for each level of ClAIT and the ecdl it seems pretty much similar to what we covered when i did my btec national diploma. Is there much point in doing CLAIT if i would already know how to do whats covered.

Comments

• I'm afraid I'm not familar with the industry, but maybe you could apply for the jobs and note in your covering letter that although you don't have the qualifications you feel that your btec covers the same areas.

If it doesn't get a good response then I would say that yes, you do need to do those courses.
  • elsietanner71
    elsietanner71 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2010 at 8:38AM
    If its a BTEC ND in IT, then, personally, I don't think you need to do either of these.

Provided you've covered all the Microsoft Office software, you should be fine.

If you're not sure a potential employer will realise that, you could list the modules you covered in your ND.
  • Hi - I know what you are saying, but in the end it all comes down to having that bit of paper that says you have met these requirements.

I did the New Clait last year and found some sections challenging but very pleased I did it. It is an OCR Level 1 qualification and cost me around £150ish to take. Within this you wil learn about:
    Word, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher and Excel

I have just started my ECDL which is a Level 2 qualification last week and this is the one most jobs I have been applying for - are after. A couple of the others there are only doing it as they have been rejected for jobs after not having ECDL and taken on on the understanding that they will complete course - even though they know what they are doing, so to speak. This is costing me £132 and lasts 20wks. within this we are studying further: Word, Powerpoint, Excel.

At the end of the day, it's updating the knowledge you already have and giving your CV a good boost.
  • foxy-roxy
    foxy-roxy Posts: 891 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler
    I have done the CLAIT course, last year, it was so i had the paperwork to show the big bosses and done so i could get a pay rise.
    Definitley worth doing, very easy and makes your CV look good too.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Obtaining CLAIT or ECDL certification measures your skills in a way that is understandable by everyone.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • In some areas, CLAIT and ECDL are available for free. Where I live, classes are in community centres which obtain funding to enable them to do this.
  • It's surprising but a fair few jobs still ask for ECDL so I would do that if you could - you would probabally breeze through with your ND experience, it's just ticking the box - and will open a few doors I'm sure. And how cool is it to actually have a 'driving licence' for your computer? lol whoever thought of that name!
    whinge intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
  • Once you've done ECDL or have equivalent knowledge, go for the Advanced ECDL - get all 4 modules of that and you get an Expert ECDL and can apply for Associate membership of the BCS and get letters after your name!

If you are unemployed many local colleges will have a fee waiver scheme or you can use Individual Learning Account towards the cost.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • elsietanner71
    elsietanner71 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2010 at 8:39AM
    The Individual Learning Account only operates in Wales and Scotland, not England.
  • I haven't done either, and have not had any problems. I think they're a waste of time, but that's just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure