IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals article discussion

Comments

• Neil_B wrote: »
    Surprised at no response?

If i am right about the location - and just from your description anyway - you have a good chance of saving your money!

sorry don't understand how to start a new thread!?
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    sorry don't understand how to start a new thread!?
    You click the button at the top of the main page for this sub-forum which says "New Thread". Should be simple enough, even for an Arsenal supporter.;)

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • feesh
    feesh Posts: 328 Forumite
    Just got a ticket - I am ill with flu, so have not been able to move my car (there is a 1 hour restriction outside our house during the working week daytime).

My car is thick heavy in snow though - I thought they didn't issue tickets when cars were covered up? They have still managed to wedge the ticket in under the wiper though.

Does anyone know what the legal stance is when issuing a ticket to a car covered in snow?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Hi feesh, it'd be best if you could scan and post the PCN (blank out personal details, car reg, serial number) in a new thread on this board.

As some PCNs don't conform, you may be able to appeal on that basis. I'm not sure about the snow, Neil B will no doubt be along soon as he's an expert in this area.
  • Hello

Can someone please help me? I received PCN in Oct last year. Having received this I wrote to TFL advising them that I was not parked where prohibited on a red route as stated on the actual PCN. In fact I had parked within the permitted times in a loading bay which clearly stated that one could park for 20 mins for this purpose.
    I received a response back advisng me that the officer who had issued the PCN hadnot noticed any activity for 5 mins and that according to TFL guidelines this observation needed to be made,

Can someone please tell me where this observation is published as my continually asking TFL for this has not generated an answer. I am determined to pursue this matter as I have seen several people just pay up because they do not have the time to get into lengthy correspondence with TFL.

I shall be very grateful for any advice any one may have to offer. I simply do not wish to be bullied by TFL into paying for a PCN, in my opinion which has raised several questions re it's authenticuty and transparency of regulations. Every letter I have received from them so far has not failed to inform me the consequences of not paying up and basically shutting up.

Thank you in advance.
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Maybe start by reading the advice given to 'gunners', 'micro' and 'jazzi' immediately above you??
  • hi guys can anyone help pls!
    I got a pcn a while ago and appealed with this letter:

Dear sir/madam,
    I am emailing with regards to a PCN which was issued to me on the 20/12/2008. The PCN No; *********. My vehicle registration no; ******.
    The PCN states that i was 'parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours' however i drove in from deansgate and before parking i didn't see any parking time restrictions etc as there were no plate or post indicating what hours the Single Yellow Line actually restricted you to in the vicinity in which i was parked.
    On studying the signs on the street i have now seen that there are plates indicating hours of restriction as you drive in from the other side and are not actually visible from where i entered or where i was parked.
    I was actually parked there for less than 10 minutes as i went to drop some medication off for my friend who lives in an apartment on that street. She had been unwell and had asked me to go to the chemist for her.
    If you could please look at the circumstances again and re-consider the decision i would appreciate it.

Kindest regards

I then got a reply a few days ago...

Dear ....

Your case comes under the Traffic Management Act 2004 and The
    Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007

Penalty Charge Notice (parking ticket) number: MC54545238
    Date given: 20/12/2008
    Place given: MIRABEL STREET
    Vehicle registration:

Thank you for your email.

I have carefully considered your letter but on this occasion I have taken the decision not to cancel your parking ticket.

You were given a parking ticket for parking on a single yellow line at a time when you were not allowed to park there. MIRABEL STREETis in a Controlled Parking Zone.

As you enter Manchester City Centre, you will pass a Controlled Zone sign. These signs explain that the rules for single yellow lines apply 8.00am-6.00pm, Monday-Saturday. The streets inside the zone do not have to have signs giving this information (except where other restrictions apply). The way we sign our zones complies with the law.

You have these choices:
    1The penalty charge will be reduced by a discount of 50% to £35.00 if it is paid no later than the last day of the period of 14 days beginning with the date on which this letter is served.
    2You can pay £70.00 after the last day of the period of 14 days beginning with the date on which this letter is served.
    3If the penalty charge is not paid on or before the end of the 28 day period beginning with the date on which this letter is served or successfully challenged, the Council may serve a Notice to Owner (NtO) on the owner of the vehicle requiring payment of the penalty charge. The owner can then make representations to the Council and may appeal to an independent adjudicator if those representations are rejected. The NtO will contain instructions for doing this.

How to pay
    The back of this letter explains how to pay.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Barr
    Customer Services

Street Management and Parking
    Neighbourhood Services

They also included pictures of my car parked on the single yellow line from three different directions....
    Not sure what to do....was going to pay it but thought better of it...if i don't have to then pls tell me someone!!
    thank u
  • I received a letter from a council in January09 with photograph of my parking ticket inside the car dated Oct08 together with photo of their penalty notice on the windscreen and the time the photo was taken. On return to my car in Oct, their notice was not on the windscreen and as I thought I had returned within the time period - I didn't expect one to be there.
    I still had the parking ticket, which I sent back to them on receipt of their letter - it appears I was in fact 7 minutes over the time limit according to time of their photo. However, there was no notice on the windscreen - so I didn't know they had left one. They want to charge £60 as I didn't reply within the allotted time. Does anyone know if I have to pay the full fine - or whether I could pay the £30 required if I had paid within the time limit?
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Edit
  • Morning all, just writing initial appeals letter to the council

should I include the ticket and receipt from the ticket machine, or should I just state I have them at this stage?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport