How to rotate an mp4 video clip?

Id be grateful if anyone can help here.

I have a mp4 video file that needs rotating. Is there any way of doing this without loosing the picture quality. I have used QuickTime to re-encode it but it does loose its quality. I have also tried using the pass-through function however either the picture doesn’t display when opening in anything other than QuickTime or the picture displays the wrong way around again (back to square 1). :confused:
A dAy WiThOuT wInE iS lIkE a DaY wItHoUt SuNsHiNe

Comments

• Omertron
    Omertron Posts: 574 Forumite
    You can rotate clips in Windows Movie Maker (Free with XP) but I don't know if it can process MP4 files.
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • spamberler
    spamberler Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Asus_Mobo wrote: »

Downloaded this and cant seem to find the rotate function? :confused:
  • spamberler
    Omertron wrote: »
    You can rotate clips in Windows Movie Maker (Free with XP) but I don't know if it can process MP4 files.

It didnt process the mp4 file :confused:
  • bigtel_2
    bigtel_2 Posts: 261 Forumite
    Using SUPER convert it to AVI then use VirtualDub to edit the video, re-save it and then convert it again using SUPER.
  • spamberler
    bigtel wrote: »
    Using SUPER convert it to AVI then use VirtualDub to edit the video, re-save it and then convert it again using SUPER.

Shall give that a whirl thanks!! :beer:
  • This is brilliant! I know it wasn't written for me, but I've just used both programmes, and it works a treat.
  • Banjaxt
    Banjaxt Posts: 14 Forumite
    spamberler wrote: »
    Downloaded this and cant seem to find the rotate function? :confused:

I know this was a while ago but this is the only piece of software that I found that actually works in rotating an mp4.

Under 'video > filters' you find the option for rotating it but you need to select a format to convert the video to before this option becomes available.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Asus.

For anyone else wanting the quickest solution, I just now used avidemux to convert a mobile phone video that was filmed at portrait angle by accident.

It is a small download, free and does the job entirely stand alone as described above. For an MP4 clip off a Nokia I used:

MPEG-4 ACV in the top box, set to Copy then MP4 in the lower box, then Filter > Transform > Rotate > 90 deg. Click 'Output' in top toolbar (hover mouse over icons to see descriptions) and you see a static preview of the rotated video. Now click the little floppy disk icon to save this output, if it takes 5 mins to process this means it's probably working correctly.

Test playing the output in Quicktime or similar before sending/uploading.
  • benichembla
    benichembla Posts: 40 Forumite
    bigtel wrote: »

Beware....:mad: :mad: This will install a program called Babylon and a toolbar......Beware :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Benichembla
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport