Ways to dump a mattress?

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    aye, same goes for wooden furniture for a similar reason. ie woodworm!
    (although i doubt if woodworm will attack MDF!):)
    Get some gorm.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    ormus wrote: »
    aye, same goes for wooden furniture for a similar reason. ie woodworm!
    (although i doubt if woodworm will attack MDF!):)

Not if they know MDF dust is supposed to be carsonogenic (is that how you spell it?)
  • I have a skip outside our house at the minute cos next door are having building work done! Could put it in there!

Failing that, bend it in half (with several people helping) and tie it up. I got our old one into the back of a Punto a few years ago!
  • cut it up and stick it in the bin the fabric should be easy but the metal frame could be tough most of it will be tied with wire or other peices to link bits together you should be able to open them
  • Tim_Deegan
    cut it up and stick it in the bin the fabric should be easy but the metal frame could be tough most of it will be tied with wire or other peices to link bits together you should be able to open them

It sounds like you are talking about a pocket sprung mattress.......an open coil sprung mattress would be even worse. I think I'd rather just pay the council than spend a whole day using wire cutters.
  • No idea I just know I chopped one up a few years ago, it did take a while but was had a good feeling that all the metal went to be recycled and not just the tip.
  • We got rid of ours recently to the tip.

We got a big length of elasticated rope, 2 strong people and managed to roll the mattress up and tie with the rope.

Managed to fit it in the car too!!
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    problem solved. It seems that our council will take away furniture for free so I guess that must include mattresses. All that is left is to determine which is the best mattress for me( I have zero problems sleeping so maybe won't need to splash out on those memory ones - what other types are there?)
  • Tim_Deegan
    thor wrote: »
    problem solved. It seems that our council will take away furniture for free so I guess that must include mattresses. All that is left is to determine which is the best mattress for me( I have zero problems sleeping so maybe won't need to splash out on those memory ones - what other types are there?)

There is a huge range of mattresses available on the market. It all depends on how firm you like your mattress, how much support you want from your mattress, and your budget.

You don't have to go for big brand names either. In fact with some makes it's better to stay away from them.

You can make huge savings on line compared to shops who sometimes have up to 500% mark up. For a huge choice have a look on ebay.
  • thor wrote: »
    All that is left is to determine which is the best mattress for me( I have zero problems sleeping so maybe won't need to splash out on those memory ones - what other types are there?)

Even if you buy online, do take some time to go and try some mattresses in a bed shop. It would be a nightmare (ho ho!) to spend out the money and then find that it wasn't comfortable. A friend of mine spent out a lot of money on a memory foam mattress and just couldn't cope with it, so it's now in her spare room & is hardly ever used. Bed shops do expect you to lie down and test the beds, so you don't need to feel too self-conscious. I was told that you should lie on your side (if that is how you sleep) and there shouldn't be any space between you and the mattress, because it should give enough to fill in any gaps. The staff in a decent shop should be trained to help you decide. You don't actually have to buy it there - you can always say you need to think about it before making a decision.

After all that worrying about how to get rid of the old mattress, I'm sure you need a good sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure