Ways to dump a mattress?

I'm thinking about buying a new mattress but need to know the best options on how to get rid of the old one. Is the council the only way I can get this done?(without having to go through the hassle of hiring a van to the local tip?)

Comments

• topmum
    topmum Posts: 387 Forumite
    The Council is your best bet. Worth checking with them if they do a bulk refuse collection. You usually have to pay for this - £9 at our local council. I assume you are getting the new matress delivered? Would they not take away your old one? Failing that if it is in not too bad condition what about freecycle? Someone might want it and they would pick it up from your house.
    :beer:
    :rotfl:
  • PM me ! I'll be along in 30 minutes with my robin reliant van:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Leave it outside the house. It will automatically find somebody's skip to live in :)
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    check your local council, they all seem to have a different charge rate. some are free.
    any mate who has a roof rack on his car? give him a fiver to dump it at the local tip.
    Get some gorm.
  • Some bed shops offer a removal service for your old bed/matress if you buy a new one from them.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • I've only ever scrounged second-hand mattresses, so we do exist! In fact, I'm on the lookout for one now...
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You won'twant mine then! It is in quite a bad state.
    Looks like it maybe time to have a chat with the council after all.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the tips Andrew. I was going to blindly buy from Argos assuming that it was the cheapest there but the co-op bedshop looks interesting during their 10% off period. I'm going to give it a look.
    As for getting rid of the old mattress, cutting it up does no sound a bad idea except that I don't have a clue how to go about it.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    retailers wont usually take your old mattress away.
    would you want you new mattress to be delivered, in the van next to an old one! from the previous drop? no i thought not.
    Get some gorm.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    ormus wrote: »
    retailers wont usually take your old mattress away.
    would you want you new mattress to be delivered, in the van next to an old one! from the previous drop? no i thought not.

As ormus says, most retailers won't take the old mattresses away, and those that do aren't supposed to unless they use a different vehicle.

We get asked all the time if we can take them away, but we aren't allowed to in case of infestation.

Some councils will take them away free, but most do charge. My local council charge a set rate of £35 for up to five items. So it your local council are the same and you don't have any other large items to get rid of, then see if any of your neighbours do so that you can share the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure