Call 1899 V Ratebusters or the like

Moneysavers,
is there any advantage in using call1899 as opposed to a company like ratebusters, or one of the other low price international calling companies...?

The way I see it, as an example, it costs 1p a minute to call Spain on call1899, but you have a 3p connection charge.

So is there any advantage, or is it a case of it is only cheaper if call1866 have a lower per minute charge?

Are the other services less reliable, or have less capacity that the subscribing system?

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Daniel_B wrote:
    Moneysavers,
    is there any advantage in using call1899 as opposed to a company like ratebusters, or one of the other low price international calling companies...?

The way I see it, as an example, it costs 1p a minute to call Spain on call1899, but you have a 3p connection charge.

So is there any advantage, or is it a case of it is only cheaper if call1866 have a lower per minute charge?

Are the other services less reliable, or have less capacity that the subscribing system?

Thanks

Dan
    Yes, there is a really big advantage.

Using 1899 or 18866, you don't give a penny to BT.

Using one of the dial-through providers, you pay BT the cost of the 0844, 0870 or whatever call.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Daniel_B
    Daniel_B Posts: 334 Forumite
    Oh I see!

that is a rather big difference isn't it.

Thankyou!
  • Baa
    Baa Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a warning on 1899 tariffs. Their web page claims calls to Canada are 0p per minute. Well they are NOT. They are 1p per minute and when I queried this, I was sent an updated tariff guide. http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php

However, 2 days later the home page is STILL not changed. Morale of the tale: don't believe everything you read on service provider websites!
  • Baa wrote:
    Just a warning on 1899 tariffs. Their web page claims calls to Canada are 0p per minute. Well they are NOT. They are 1p per minute and when I queried this, I was sent an updated tariff guide. http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php

However, 2 days later the home page is STILL not changed. Morale of the tale: don't believe everything you read on service provider websites!

Are you calling from a BT line though as it states the charge to Canada is 1p if calling from a cable line.
  • Baa wrote:

You're not the first to be fooled like that Baa because 1899's Homepage isn't very well designed. In fact, even if a cable landline user spots the 'NEW' NTL, Telewest .... link on the left of the page and clicks it, the refreshed page still has an unchanged Superdeals table at the top right - that still shows their prices from BT landlines.

However, if you click on the word here at the end of 'Printer friendly version? Click here' in the centre , the cable landline charges pop up on a txt list.
    30 years, 217 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport