Taking in foreign exchange students... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• grrrl
    grrrl Posts: 28 Forumite
    I've been out for a stroll this evening after reading this thread and spotted a notice in the newsagents for Belgian students looking for a host family over the summer. I've rung the number and left a message, hopefully they will ring me back tomorrow. I picked up a copy of a local paper and there's a half page ad in there for host families too.

My only (possible) problem is that I'm 25 and my boyfriend is 28. We both work full time, but providing half board accomodation wouldn't be a problem.

Are we the wrong type of host family? Are the agencies really looking for people aged 30+ and children who work part-time/not at all?

We can offer a double bedroom with a king-sized bed and live near to a main bus route so travel for the students wouldn't be a problem.

Any advice on what the language schools look for in a host family would be greatly appreciated.
    Shopping around for insurance:
    £150 saved on annual car insurance renewal
    £41.52 saved on annual pet insurance renewal
    Total saved: £192.52
  • grrrl
    grrrl Posts: 28 Forumite
    To answer my own question, having spoken to the language school, they're not looking for a "family" as such, just someone with a spare room. You can be a single person, or a family of eight, it doesn't matter.
    Shopping around for insurance:
    £150 saved on annual car insurance renewal
    £41.52 saved on annual pet insurance renewal
    Total saved: £192.52
  • would love to do this, would you be able to suggest what schools do it?
  • Hi there everybody. I work for an English language school in Central London, and we are always on the lookout for good hosts. I have host families that consist of 1 person on their own and i have hosts that have up to 7 children!

As for age, i tend to go on the person's responses on my questionnaires and also how i perceive them when i make a home visit.

We have students all year round but it does ease off in the winter.

We only deal with families within London Travelcard zones 1-4, with zones 1 & 2 paying slightly more than zones 3 & 4.

If anybody is actually interested in finding out some more about becoming a host, im happy to answer any questions.

We only deal with adult students (16+), so unfortunately i cant answer any questions regarding minors, although i believe that the laws are changing regarding people that come into contact with under 16's.
  • This sounds very interesting. Anodybody knows something like this in Spain?
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    hmmm, i'm looking to move me and my daughter into a 3 bed house soon, but its at the top end of my rent budget. I was going to turn the spare room into the "office" but this sounds like a much better idea!

Might look into it later in the year.
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • i am looking at becoming a host family in torbay (devon) if anyone knows where i can get info please advise.thanks x
  • marvalous
    marvalous Posts: 115 Forumite
    I'm interested in hosting in Slough from May onwards.
    Newbie Debt Ninja
  • Hiya,
    I'm interested in hosting near Southend. If anyone knows of any local schools needing host families/ rooms i'd appreciate it.
    Many thanks
    Sharon xx
    Don't sweat the small stuff ................It's all small stuff!

• HFSLondon
    HFSLondon Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 August 2009 at 12:27PM
    'HFS London' is a Homestay provider and is always looking for good host families- please look us up and get in touch if you are in London zones 1-3 and are interested in registering with us. We are an established Homestay agency that works with numerous educational institutions in London as well as a international agents abroad. We look for British host families that will provide the warmest welcome to our students, professionals and tourists for short term stays here in London.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure