Discuss the Cheap Wine Discount Finder tool

Comments

• No Pinotage listed?
  • Can't see that Pinot Noir for £42 ? although it says 45% discount it doesn't take it off at the checkout !
  • a6v
    a6v Posts: 16 Forumite
    The Tesco and M&S discount links don't work, when clicked they display full price on respective websites not discounted price as per the tool. Majestic does work !!

Great idea though work in progress I guess and improvements needed still. :T:T

Do add Virgin wines and Laithwaites to this tool which will cover a lot of options.. Maybe the tool should produce output irrespective of seller with just the biggest discount. User should be able to select specific retailer, max price and sorting as well.... My 2 pence worth !!
  • Please add organic as an option on the drop down. Organic people like bargains too!
  • Resist the temptation to become a wine information centre, if people want vintages, what goes with fish, that sort of thing, just say no.

A nice and simple price generator would be lovely.

Please add option to start with highest prices - for me at least this is not about finding cheap wine (there's gallons of that readily available) but keener prices for better quality.

Toodle pip
  • Tried it and liked it. I would then be happy to look at suppliers website or internet search to find more info about the wines
  • This tool looks to me like something that's been put together by someone who doesn't know much about what makes up the price of a bottle of wine or understands the difference between "cheap" and "good value". It's all very well grabbing "3 for £10" deals but on a bottle costing £3.33 the tax element is £2.45. Of the 88p that remains some will be down to the cost of packaging, some to transportation, some will be profit and not very much will relate to what you are hoping to drink! Tax in booze increases every year so unless wine drinkers are prepared to move their target bottle price up as well the quality of what they drink is declining. A £4 bottle of wine today is less good that a £4 bottle last year. Half price wines sold in supermarkets have their price doubled for amonth beforehand so they can show an apparent saving. I was in Tesco today where there are bottles of First Cape being offered at £10.49 yet it's £4.99 in Sainsburys.....
  • I am no wine snob or expert but having had wines from some of these highly discounted companies they may be big on discounts but very poor on quality. My experience tells me having used some of these discounted wine companies they have to discount them to sell them!
  • For some time I've checked In "Quaffers offers" before I go to any supermarket. It gives something to aim at.
    For anyone really interested in wine the site might be of interest.
  • As already mentioned, supermarkets have a habit of inflating prices prior to offering big discounts.
    To be meaningful the discounted price should show alongside a comparison price from other retailers.
    Only then can the value of the offer be judged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure