Inheritance affecting benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    It puts people into the same position as those who have a small private pension that takes them out of being able to claim Pension Credit. A line has to be drawn somewhere but it's an unfair situation for many.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    SuziQ wrote: »
    I think it's bizzare not to allow people to get rid of debt with inheritance-it's debt that keeps most people in poverty I feel and getting rid frees up more money to live on. I think if it is debt that has been there for -say-more than 5 years then you should be allowed to pay it off with an inheritance (to avoid people running up debt in anticipation of a payout!) Still,rules are rules.

Rules might be rules but there are no absolute rules on paying off debts. i think it's a case by case decision and whilst there is probably (I'm guessing here) some degree of consistency, there's probably some degree of variance too.

Bet thing to do if you want to read up on it is to google "commissioner's decisions uk deprivation" which will throw up some stuff, including this:
    http://www.disabilityalliance.org/comm3.htm

Then search the page (edit>find) for "deprivation" - nice case on that page.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure