Damp Ceiling/Wall in Bedroom

2»

Comments

• Perhaps bats? Beware as you cannot remove them as they are protected.

I would think it is more likely that your guttering is blocked with leaves - especially at this time of year. Guttering is fairly easy to check and clear out any debris (providing you have access to a ladder that is.)
  • benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    It still sounds like it might be condensation - would that bit of wall be cold/north facing? There are a few tricks to test for condensation - sticking tin foil to the wall is one from memory - water on room side = condensation water on wall side= damp

Search some other threads for ideas.
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Does the room have heating? If not, it could be condensation indeed, but as mentioned, it could be moisture running down the rafters in the loft. Once in the loft, trace the point where its showing back up towards the roof pitch and look for any evidence of moisture etc.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I am certain it is not condensation, it is well heated and well ventilated and I have lived there for 17 years with no condensation problem. I am almost certain it is not bats, I am sure it is a bird/birds getting in Even if I had a ladder I couldn't go up that high, so I will have to get someone in.

Can anyone tell me about the working at height regulations please, can it be done with a ladder or would it need a platform/scaffolding? If I can't find anything in the loft when I look again on Saturday I think I will have to get the roofer back to check it out.
  • webwalker
    webwalker Posts: 104 Forumite
    justontime wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I am certain it is not condensation, it is well heated and well ventilated and I have lived there for 17 years with no condensation problem. I am almost certain it is not bats, I am sure it is a bird/birds getting in Even if I had a ladder I couldn't go up that high, so I will have to get someone in.

Can anyone tell me about the working at height regulations please, can it be done with a ladder or would it need a platform/scaffolding? If I can't find anything in the loft when I look again on Saturday I think I will have to get the roofer back to check it out.

It can be inspected from a ladder but a ladder is not a working platform and anything above 2 metres should be scaffolded if any work is to be carried out..
    Give me life, give me love, give me peace on earth.
  • illzlee
    illzlee Posts: 93 Forumite
    do you have a tank feeding your cold water supply? remote possibility of a leak travelling down the ceiling joist.....although unlikely, you have disproven everything else!
    I am a building surveyor and will provide advice based upon what you tell me. It is just that, advice and not instructions. Based on the fact you're getting it for free expect it to be vague! :D
  • illzlee wrote: »
    do you have a tank feeding your cold water supply? remote possibility of a leak travelling down the ceiling joist.....although unlikely, you have disproven everything else!

Yes but it is in the diagionally opposite corner of the loft so it is as far as it could possibly be from the damp ceiling. I have traced pipes from the tank but there is nothing anywhere near the damp ceiling. I think I may be spending a long time in the loft tomorrow, trying to make sense of this!
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just don't forget water can travel, so trace it back from the damp area if possible.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure