Dyson...funny noise and burning smell!!

2»

Comments

• Yes I would agree their phone helpline is absolutely brilliant.
  • Mine is a DC-14. Had this problem, noise and occasional rubber smell.

Turns out the brush bar was clogged up with dust. The brush bar assembly has a black cap on either end, and the brush itself spins on an axle between them. Turns out it wasn't spinning very well, hence the noise, causing the rubber band to slip, hence the smell.

To fix, first Make sure it's unplugged from the wall - it's easy to knock a power switch!

First remove the plastic cover that is locked in with three plastic screw-twists (twist them 90 degrees to release).

I removed the brush bar by slipping the rubber band off the motor spindle. The brush bar should now come out easily. Hold each end of the brush bar and twist the end-caps off, and the brush will slide off the axle.

Clean out the ends of the brush where the dust clogs up (I even had to chisel a chunk with a screwdriver!), perhaps put some oil down the axle, and reassemble the brush bar.

It should be spinning nice and freely between the end-caps in your hands.

Now just put the rubber back band around the brush bar, slide the end-caps back into their slots, and slide the other end of the rubber band back over the motor spindle. Replace the plastic cover and twist back the plastic screws to lock, and you're done.

Kevin
  • We have a dc08 origin that did the same thing last year and it turned out the motor blew. Just bought a new one off ebay, replaced it, and it's been good as new since.

Looked on youtube and this guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/VacuumSmart/videos

has all sorts of dyson tutorials.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Last Saturday this happened to our DC33,just over two years old called Dyson and this morning their engineer called and fitted a new motor.
  • Mrs_J
    Mrs_J Posts: 4 Newbie
    redmalc wrote: »
    Last Saturday this happened to our DC33,just over two years old called Dyson and this morning their engineer called and fitted a new motor.

Did you have to register your dyson for the 5 year guarantee? :)
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs J
    no i just called them and requested a repair, i had the original receipt,but the girl said it was not required because the model had only been in circulation for two years,so no problems
  • dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    If you have the receipt or the proof of purchase then then it's covered for 5 years, they are very good and they will also service it when repairing it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What you describe does sound like the motor burning out. If it's a DC07 on the original motor then it's probably over 10 years old now. Either buy a new motor on eBay for about £20 and fit yourself, or get an independent to do it for about half of what Dyson will charge you.
    All parts for the DC07 are readily available (again, source from independents, not from Dyson) and if properly maintained (which means cleaning both filters at least every 3 months) it will last another 10 years.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport