PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hiya guys,
    Still emptying freezer/store cupboards so shopping being kept to a bare minimum. Should be able to defrost freezer by tues :j and then restock in nov:j

HWGA xx

Hi there HWGA not seen you for ages how big is your freezer that its gonna take you til tuesday to empty it

I cant remember if I said but can you please put me down for

£200 for november thanks

we have made more sauces and chutneys (which DH really loves) the pantry is full of jars so he will have to put a few more shelves up as I cant see what we ahve in there

bye for now

KAATXX

mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Good Morning Crocery Challengers :beer: I'm sorry, but I've had to delete a few posts as they aren't in line with the agreed GC guidelines :o I'll post them here so that people can refresh their memories ;)

Any probs, please PM me or Pink-winged :D

Penny. x

Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the
    Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • We had a lovely meal last night, 5 friends joined us and all contributed food & drink to the meal, mainly based on produce we had grown. We have enough soup remaining for lunch today. We also received eggs (friends chickhens), herbs, pumpkins & HM Ginger beer which will save us money on the groceries this week :money: As well as some rasberry canes & rhubarb crown, long term return.

I've enjoyed this months challange (first for us) and I'm looking foward to next months. I have noticed that some of you have in your signatures your on going GC total, think I might copy this.

Surprisingly DP has embraced this challange, has given me all his receipts and asked for updateds on the total :D

Plan to make 2 big pans of soup today (different flavours), DP has soup everyday for lunch, usually from a can (Baxters) hoping this will save some pennies. Also intend to meal plan for the week to make the most of the veg box and all our generous donations, and think/plan next months challange - I think I'm hooked.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    hi all!

well my budgets already going to pot - had a night out on friday, first time since time began without dh or the kids, so was seriously hungover on saturday and we ended up getting take away instead of cooking and then today i've been to church and dh thinking he was helping (i still feel bit rough) has made bolognese for lunch but went to mr a's and bought all the ingredients when we already have everything in:o

so thats another £20 on this weeks budget - must do better, must do better;)

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    leebarton wrote: »
    ... as ds finally arrived on Monday - some 10 days late.
    Congratulations !!!! :j
    ... Surprisingly DP has embraced this challange, has given me all his receipts and asked for updateds on the total :D
    ... - I think I'm hooked.

It is addictive isnt it! and its really good that your DP is on board too ;)

Mrs Mc, I’m declaring at £85 for October (rounded up to keep it simple) which is near enough to my budget to please me and especially considering I stocked up on a few good offers over the last 2 weeks. ;)

I’m working on my meal plan today but I’ve ordered a Remoska so that might throw the plan a bit whilst I play with it and learn what works and what doesn’t :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    rosieben
    I’m working on my meal plan today but I’ve ordered a Remoska so that might throw the plan a bit whilst I play with it and learn what works and what doesn’t :D[/quote]

Everything :D :j I still haven't put my oven on since I got mine and thats about 4 weeks ago now :T
    You will be amazed at how much more creative you become in an attempt to cook everything in the remoska :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Hi Folks.

I would like to declare for October, I spent £55.80 out of £60 budget for the month

:T

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • Hi Everyone just popped in to update. Have been off on a Sun break this week. Brought a few groceries on Saturday as well so have added £50.64 to my toatal. Took most of my food with me on my holiday so not much spends there. So hopefully should come in under budget this month. Good luck to everyone else.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Mrs Mc declaring at £276.11 for october

November £300 please
    thanks
  • KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Hi there HWGA not seen you for ages how big is your freezer that its gonna take you til tuesday to empty it
    KAATXX

Kaat, it's taking me ages because when I cook meals there's always extra potions I end up puting back in he he

I've had another NSD today, meals made from what I could find in the freezer/cupboards. Got some fruit bushes for more freebies in garden for next year, gooseberries and blackcurrants to go with the redcurrants, raspberies,apples,and plums that we already have so should get lots more jam etc then. Hoping to get a rhubarb crown too as I love it. Still well under budget so far.

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure