Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

I have just a quick question, I don't really know anything about the benefits system but wanted to know what people are entitled to, specifically in this instance:

Single mother, not working, 2 children.

How much would she stand to get per month, and the accommodation provided, is it free or do you have to pay out of your benefits that you get from the government?

Thanks

Comments

• pandaspot
    pandaspot Posts: 533 Forumite
    Would it be private rented? Or council? How old are the kids?

What income does she get? How old? how much is the rent if private?

Not many details
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Like i said I know not much, she doesn't earn anything, she doesn't work.

The children, one is 3 the other new born.

I would assume council as she hasn't worked in 4 years.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    You can identify the entitlements on the Turn2us online benefit calculator.

Off the top of my head, a single parent with 2 children can get around £200 per week benefits - £65 income support, £35 approx child benefit, £98 child tax credits. They will usually get a full council tax rebate.

Why do you 'assume' she's in council accommodation - why don't you know? If she's in social housing, the chances are that housing benefit will cover her rent.

If she's a private tenant, you can identify the maximum Local Housing Allowance on the LHA direct website. It won't necessarily cover all her rent, it depends on whether she's living in a property above or below the LHA rate as to whether she will pay a top up.

Any maintenance she receives from the non-resident parent is on top of her benefits, it doesn't affect them.
  • pandaspot
    Well assume she is on income support, getting full housing benefit and council tax benefit. She would only be paying water rates and any arrears off if there is any? This is assuming she is in a council house
  • pandaspot
    edited 2 March 2011 at 11:02AM
    Jowo wrote: »
    You can identify the entitlements on the Turn2us online benefit calculator.

Off the top of my head, a single parent with 2 children can get around £200 per week benefits - £65 income support, £35 approx child benefit, £98 child tax credits. They will usually get a full council tax rebate.

Why do you 'assume' she's in council accommodation - why don't you know? If she's in social housing, the chances are that housing benefit will cover her rent.

If she's a private tenant, you can identify the maximum Local Housing Allowance on the LHA direct website. It won't necessarily cover all her rent, it depends on whether she's living in a property above or below the LHA rate as to whether she will pay a top up.

Any maintenance she receives from the non-resident parent is on top of her benefits, it doesn't affect them.

I don't think the op is finding out for this person, think the are being nosey about someone they know :)

Might be wrong
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Panda - your not wrong, I am simply being nosey, they seem to have a lot of "cash" to buy things.

I know they are not doing anything illegal to earn the money and that its through benefits I was just shocked and wanted to know how much they'd be entitled too!

Not passing judgement on any one - just interested.
  • vroombroom
    vroombroom Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    she might not be doing anything dodgy as such - my OH's sister has 4 kids neither her or her partner work, live in a lovely council house for half of what we pay on our rented house and has an assortment of the latest TVs/games consoles etc.

She recently asked to lend £100 off us, which I said no to as we can't afford it. She confessed she had spent in excess of £3k at Xmas off doorstep lenders:eek::eek: to fund Xmas. Perhaps this lady is doing the same x
    :j:jOur gorgeous baby boy born 2nd May 2011 - 12 days overdue!!:j:j
  • pandaspot
    You can report them to fraud anonymously. You can ring or write a letter to both the dap and local authority. Check your council website for details :)
  • What can they get ? how about a job ?
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2011 at 11:23AM
    Do they get to claim single parent benefits whatever the maintenance is from the ex partner? What if the ex partner is on £100,000 a year or more? Seems an odd rule!
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure