How long do your tyres last?

I have a Vauxhall Meriva (registered April 06) and I'm wondering about the tyres. I have only just gone over the 12000 mile mark and the garage are telling me that my tyres are within 1mm of the legal requirement.

I can't believe that standard road driving has caused my tyres to only last 12000 miles ... your thoughts?

History of tyres: Got front right wheel pushed into kerb in Jan (she shouldn't have turned left from her lane!), specifically asked assessor and garage to look at tyre .. they clearly didn't. Put in for 12 month service in April and they told me front right tyre was now illegal (1mm) but others ok (all 6mm) .. had row with Body Shop as they hadn't checked tyre but they have now changed it. They told me yesterday that my others were now only 3mm but at the service date (21 Apr), they were 6mm. Can a tyre wear 3mm in 3 months? Surely something is wrong?

Your help and advice would be appreciated.
Ken Livingstone is my mother

Comments

• HelzBelz
    HelzBelz Posts: 619 Forumite
    It'd depend on tyre pressures, and to a certain extent how you drive, so it's hard to say if they should or shouldn't wear that quickly
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What make are the tyres. Some tyres last for ages - Michelins and Lo Rolling Resistance tyres especially. I made my Michelins last for 30k on my Beemer. Other tyres don't last as long. Some budget tyres seem to wear out in no time.
    The man without a signature.
  • seftonsun
    seftonsun Posts: 195 Forumite
    I've got Dunlop GrandTrek's. The front's lasted almost 40,000 and the rears are still going strong at 50,000 with about 3mm left on them. As front wheel drive I expected the fronts to wear quicker (cannot be bothered to swop wheels around). These are pretty much road going tyres and nothing special.
  • Nobjocki
    Nobjocki Posts: 947 Forumite
    I dunno about tyres but the funny thing about razor blades is that the final one in the packet always seems to last the longest !
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Depends on tyre compound, pressure, conditions, driving style, correct wheel alignment.

I use soft compound tyres and they last about 4-5 months which is probably about 6000 miles. But they grip well and cost £45 each all in via Blackcircles.

Check prices at Blackcircles and Protyre, they'll be a lot better than a garage.
    Happy chappy
  • epninety
    epninety Posts: 563 Forumite
    As tomstickland says, it varies according to loads of factors. I've had cars where I struggled to get more than 6000 out of the fronts and 12k out of the rears. At the other extreme, the BFGoodrich on my Land Rover get changed between 50 and 60k, just before the start of winter... and there's always enough tread left (6mm or more) that someone buys the old tyres off me, which goes towards the new set :j. Then again, they do start with 15mm :D
  • I've got an old Lexus LS400 and got 40000 out of the last set, admitedly they were borderline illegal when I changed them so I guess I was still road legal and safe (sorry officers) up to around 35k.
    My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
  • For the OP's information, I have a May '06 Meriva (1.7 Diesel) fitted with Continental tyres. Just completed 11000 miles and the fronts still have 5.5mm tread depth and the rears 6.5mm. So I would suggest the tyre wear in your case is comparatively unacceptable. However, as has been mentioned, driving style, vehicle occupancy, maintaining correct pressures etc. has a lot to do with it.
    Could the "kerbing" also be a factor here? Have you had the steering and/or suspension geometry checked since?
    Although tyres are not covered by vehicle warranty, have you asked Vauxhall or a Vauxhall dealer for their opinion?
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Within 1mm of the legal requirement means they have 2.6mm of tread which is still fairly significant however I personally change my tyres before they get down to 1.6mm.

It all depends on the brand and model of tyre and how you drive. Yokohama A539's will wear out in under 10,000 miles but they're well grippy. Michelin E tyres will last nearly double that but you lose the grip of the Yokos.

Likewise, doing lots of stop start or twisty road driving will eat tyres more than motorway driving.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If this link works it will show you how important the correct pressure is:
    http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/graphics/tyre-pressures.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts