Vauxhall Combo Not Starting! HELP !!!

Comments

• tim158
    tim158 Posts: 98 Forumite
    there are 2 wires on the starter motor usally one thick and one thin.

The thin one provide 12 volts to the starter solinoid from the ignition switch when you turn the key to position 3.

most common fault is a bad/corroded connection at the starter solinoid, remove and refit a few times cleans the connection but it would require a new connection fitting if badly corroded.

I think the starter is at the rear of the engine covered by a plate so a pit or ramp my be required,

If you can bump the car it will be a start motor fault or wiring to it

Tim
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If not the starter solenoid connections, another thing can be that the starter ring gear has not disengaged from the last start. If so, on level ground with the ignition off handbrake off and a gear selected, just rocking the car back and forth a bit would free it.
  • I got under the van and gave the starter motor a knock with the shaft of a hammer. Now when I turn the key I can here a click sound from the solenoid but nothing from the starter motor.! Iam guessing that the starter has seized as the first time I turned the key their was a faint burning smell.
    Thanks for the suggestions people I will let you know how I get on.
  • tim158
    tim158 Posts: 98 Forumite
    if your car will bump start there are 3 possible problems:

starter worn - will require removing and bench testing or change it

wiring fault - carry out a drop test on + & - ciruit

flywheel ring gear worn - unlikly but possible

hope it helps
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    sound like the starter is gubbed.

get a recon'd unit for around £50. cheaper than a new one by miles.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Got the starter motor off ,it was underneath the engine towards the back of the engine. Took it apart and the bushes were knackered! So got a brand new starter for £70 off trusted seller on ebay . Put the starter motor in and it started at the second time of asking. Great I thought. Problem solved.
    Went back the next morning to start again and starter not turning fast enough to start engine. Getting slower turns with every try. The temp outside was about -1 and I think the battery is not powerfull enough for the engine (think it needs heavy duty battery). Iam putting in more powerfull battery tomorrow and ill let u all know how it goes. If anyone else has any ideas why it doesnt turn fast enough plz let me know and ill take your ideas on board.
    Thanks People for all your help so far.
    J.D
  • goldspanners
    Jimmy8su wrote: »
    Got the starter motor off ,it was underneath the engine towards the back of the engine. Took it apart and the bushes were knackered! So got a brand new starter for £70 off trusted seller on ebay . Put the starter motor in and it started at the second time of asking. Great I thought. Problem solved.
    Went back the next morning to start again and starter not turning fast enough to start engine. Getting slower turns with every try. The temp outside was about -1 and I think the battery is not powerfull enough for the engine (think it needs heavy duty battery). Iam putting in more powerfull battery tomorrow and ill let u all know how it goes. If anyone else has any ideas why it doesnt turn fast enough plz let me know and ill take your ideas on board.
    Thanks People for all your help so far.
    J.D

if its not turning fast enough then the battery will be at fault. try jump starting it and run it for a bit to charge the battery up,maybe the battery has not recovered from the use it had previously?
    ...work permit granted!
  • Put in new battery and still strugled. Started eventually. But not reliable.
    Starter turns ok and when its trying to start their is a little bit of smoke from the engine. Could this be glow plugs faulty as I have been told that they may smoke a little when not working properly.
    Thanks.
  • goldspanners
    originally the van wouldnt turn over,you put a starter in it and then it would turn over but not fast enough,so you replaced the battery,has the battery made the engine turn over faster on start up?

before trying to start the engine,turn the ignition on until the glow plug light goes out on the dashboard,when it does turn the ignition off and then quickly on again,let the glow plug light go out again and then repeat this process so you have powered up the glowplugs 3 times so if there is a bit of life left in them it will help heat them up,then on the last time the light goes out try and start it,if it starts no bother then your glow plugs are probably on thier way out.
    this was similar to the thread on here a few weeks ago,i think the outcome of thier fault was glow plugs.
    ...work permit granted!
  • I've just had this problem on my Combo, I recently fitted a new alternator and had the battery tested so knew that side of it was fine. I removed the starter motor, cleaned up all the terminals and connections and fitted it all back together again (took me 2 hours) now all seems to be working fine again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure