uniform allowance?

hi i heard that you can claim a uniform allowance through the inland revenue if you work somewhere that does not have an available washing machine yet you have to wear a uniform (a supermarket for example).
has any one does this or know what forms / requirements there are?

Comments

• when i used to work for the inland revenue,people just used to write a letter to their local tax office to claim this money back.tell them how much you have to pay to wash and how often.

hope this helps
  • donsycoo
    donsycoo Posts: 15 Forumite
    slimtobee wrote:
    when i used to work for the inland revenue,people just used to write a letter to their local tax office to claim this money back.tell them how much you have to pay to wash and how often.

hope this helps

do you know if there are any restrictions to who can apply? like hours or something? im still at uni so not on a full tax code and only do 10 - 20 hours a week.
    i didnt even know there was such a thing until a lady told me when i was at work the other day!
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Gosh I never realised there was such a thing - surely this would be make so many people claim lots of money!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • My hubby used to claim an allowance for the washing of his uniform, he rang the local tax office & they increased his tax code slightly to take this into a/c
    :A Heaven sent MSE :A
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It must be logo-ed workwear and there should be no laundry available from your employer.If the employer states they have a staff washing machine, the allowance falls.iirc, i get £90 a year on my allowance.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • donsycoo
    donsycoo Posts: 15 Forumite
    ohreally wrote:
    It must be logo-ed workwear and there should be no laundry available from your employer.If the employer states they have a staff washing machine, the allowance falls.iirc, i get £90 a year on my allowance.

how did you claim that? do you know what form you filled out?
    i like the idea of getting something back :D
  • smiley_2
    smiley_2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    :j This was posted last year on a previous thread, i used it for my husband and now get tax allowance for his uniform :j

All you need to do is fill in the blanks and send it to your work's tax office.

Your Name
    Your Address
    Date

Inland Revenue
    Tax Office Address
    Details available from
    Your employer/pay roll dept
    …………
    Postcode.

Dear Inland Revenue

RE: Expenses Allowance

I have been employed at Company Name, Location since (Date of Starting at Employment). I am obliged to launder the uniform, which is supplied to me by the company. I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £45 for each year since the above date.

Yours Faithfully

Your Name
    Your Tax code
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Thanks smiley, thats something to consider :D
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I get this i think it is £45 per year which is on your tax allowance
This discussion has been closed.