PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Orchid's

I've rencently been bought an orchid but haven't a clue how to look after it!

I've spoke to my bf's mum who waters hers as directed on the label, however she doesn't seem to keep them for long before they die. Her sister however has had her's since december and keeps it in an inch of water all the time. Which is the best way to water it?

Thanks for all your help.

(Please move if in the wrong place! Still new!)
C1 = £643.17, C2= £60.51, C3 = £376.48, C4 = £331.58, C5 = £422.57

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you have the label for it - use google images to find pictures of it using the latin name on the tag.

Then work your way through the pages that come up until you find one that has information on care and and feeding of.

There are millions of different orchids and they cover a range of habitats from dry to soaking wet so you really need to look yours up :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I keep mine stood in water and in a north facing window, orchid gets the morning sun and I seem to be able to keep them for a long time. I dont go with the feeding of them and watering every now and then,because by doing this they have died on me! I dont feed the orchid and they seem to grow new shoots and thrive. My mother kept and fed hers (bought from the same place as mine)as instructed, and it died. Mine is still going and they tend to last for a couple of years. I personally think the positionng is alot to do with it also.
  • Fluella
    Fluella Posts: 65 Forumite
    Thank you, I've stood in water now. It's in the lounge on the fire harth and it will get some morning sun.

Fingers crossed I dont kill it!!!

Just bought a passion flower for the garden but that's another thread!!
    C1 = £643.17, C2= £60.51, C3 = £376.48, C4 = £331.58, C5 = £422.57
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    I have 3 Orchids and mine sit on the window where they get strong morning sun, and I water them very very rarely infact probably once a month. Apparently as they are native to growing in crevices, they also like to be in a pot that is smaller than their roots are. So if the roots appear at the top of the pot, dont re-pot them, leave them be.

Mine are very neglected (at least in plant terms) and all three have lived, one for 4 years, the other for 3 and the baby for 2 (I get them as a present from a guy at work every Christmas). Infact the oldest one's flowers lasted from Jan to July this year, which is unbeleivable!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure