Can I paint my kitchen worktop?

Hi we brought some new kitchen cupboard doors today cause i want to do up the kitchen. Problem is i want a black worktop and currently its cream. Could i paint it with anything special and varnish it to stop it scratching instead of replacing the whole thing?

Thanks, any advice appreciated. DIY is not my strong point!!

VTMIL

Comments

• vtmil wrote:
    Hi we brought some new kitchen cupboard doors today cause i want to do up the kitchen. Problem is i want a black worktop and currently its cream. Could i paint it with anything special and varnish it to stop it scratching instead of replacing the whole thing?

VTMIL

i know you can get special paint to cover kitchen cupboard doors, so i am sure that there must be something in a diy store for the work tops but am unsure. If you have gone to the expense of getting new cupboard doors today then its well worth just replacing work tops too, would get a much better finnish.
    :T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A
  • navig8r
    navig8r Posts: 553 Forumite
    I seriously doubt that there is anything available that would stand up to the punishment that a kitchen work top goes through ..Might be posible to tile it though..

Dave
  • vtmil
    vtmil Posts: 282 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice. I would like new worktops but I don't know how id get them home, and im not sure how to take the one ive got now off, or how to cut a new one with the sink hole and stuff... suppose i just thought id try nd cut a few corners! Maybe not...
  • perhaps worth asking around your friends im sure they must know a handy man who is capable of cutting and fitting a new work surface for you, to help you out and save you money!
    :T This site is great! Thanks to Martin Lewis & everyone who participates and helps so many people! Without you all, where would we be ??:T

:A The days are long, but the years are short! Cherish every moment, you blink that moment is gone forever :sad: :A
  • I wondered about this about 2 years ago cause DIY is not my strong point! Ended up getting the whole kitchen ripped out and got some one in to replace it. If you have a wickes near you they do cheap worktops and mine still look new. we got some one in to fit and it cost (sorry if it not too accurate)£500 -£600 and that was for 14 ish cupboards including larder and he did the plinths and worktops and basically everything oh yeah the sink too! So if you get someone to put the work top in it shouldn't be too much and get him to pick it up on the way!!! It's worth a try!!
    As far as i'm aware there isn't a paint that can with stand the pressures of every day kitchen work. Hope i'm wrong and good luck xxxx
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    vtmil wrote:

VTMIL

Haver you thought about tiling them? I did this when I moved and couldn't afford a complete kitchen refit. I'm not a diy-er either but it was quite easy (using an instruction leaflet from the DIY store!) and as well as looking good it's very hardwearing
    Sparrer
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    same here really. i painted my units last yr. with the special primer and topcoat. from dark hardwood to cream. really pleased with it.
    but ive no idea if the same method can be used for the tops?
    i doubt it though. and ive never seen a paint product just for tops.
    Get some gorm.
  • I can't imagine that anyone could make paint that would cope with the harsh treatment that kitchen worktops get. Or that it would look particularly good especially as you want black.
    I'd go for new worktop, laminate is cheap enough, you can get it in black, or black granite effect, most diy places will deliver. Or, do what I do & bribe a friend with an estate car or van to collect it with you.
  • vtmil
    vtmil Posts: 282 Forumite
    hi, thanks for all the advice. i love the tiling idea sparrer - just what did you do about the lip of the worktop? what size tiles did you use? I reckon it would look really good!

thanks
    vtmil
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    You could also try that sticky plastic that you can stick onto of draw units etc, Im not sure how good this will look or how hard wearing itis but its worth investigating
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure