Cancun - Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Xplor Anyone been? also whats cheapest way to buy?

Hi all,

Wife and I want to go to Xcaret and Xplor..... and swim with dolphins.. I noticed on their website that you can book a combo ticket for all 3 (Xcaret, Xplor and Xel Ha) for 200 USD

http://www.xplor.travel/Xperience-Passport.php

That way we can swim with dolphins in Xel Ha and visit Xplor and Xcaret and anything else extra in Xel Ha would be a bonus.

Has anyone been to these parks? Anyone got any tips or suggestions to get a good deal?

1. Should i buy online for 200 USD for all 3? (each park is usually about 100 USD each)
2. How easy is it to get public transport to these parks?
3. has anyone swum with dolphins at Xel-HA? Was it any good? Should we go for the 60 minute 'foot push' version or the 30 minute one? Also how much do they sting you for picture/dvds?
4. We have got some 'swim shoes' (leightwieght surfer shoes with grip)... will these be handy at the parks? (i.e. dotn lose flip flops and dont need to take shoes off etc).

Any other suggestions./tips would be welcome :) Thanks

Comments

• jaytar
    jaytar Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi

That actually sounds like quite a good price for all three, but then you have to add on the price of swimming with the dolphins.

We also swam with them at Puerto Aventuras and I would definitely recommend the 'Foot Push' its incredible. Unfortunately the videos and photographs are quite expensive. However, at Puerto Aventuras it is quite easy to get someone to video it for you and take your own photo's.

Public transport is easy to use to get to the parks, or you could travel with the locals on a Collectivo which is really cheap transport.

Have a fabulous time, I am so envious !
  • Mumolulu
    Mumolulu Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have been, 6 years ago, and we had the best time, I have no advice for booking, but you will have a great time, they're wonderful. I can't remember much about them both now, and tried to jog my memory by searching but still couldn't remember! The snorkling was brill, and we had our picture taken in the water which was a lovely memory. I remember watching a fab culture show in Xcaret I think, which was really amazing. We stayed in the Occidental Xcaret Hotel, it was on the site I think, had water running through it and it was just outstanding and really beautiful. Hmmmmm.........

I'm jealous....;)
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Xel-Ha is beautiful. We got there soon after it opened and spent the whole day there.

You can't wear normal suncreams though. You need to buy special eco-friendly suncream that doesn't leave a film on the water. We went towards the end of the holiday when we were well tanned and didn't sit out in the sun, so we didn't have to bother with sunscreen.

Can't comment on the swimming with dolphins. I didn't want to do it as I don't agree with them being in captivity, but the pools they had at Xel-Ha were massive and they seemed content enough.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • dblue75
    dblue75 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Been to Mexico/Cancun numerous times.... DO the dolphins at Isla Mujeres !!!! Stunning and much bigger area in the sea for them. Trust me on this !!!

Xel-Ha is brill !!! every time we go to Mexico we go there !!! full day all inclusive and a great sleep when you get back.

As for booking. Wait until you get to Cancun, you will get it cheaper(don't book with tour reps) OR on line.

If you want to know anything OR where to book the trips once there ??? feel free to contact me(some sellers are timeshare linked) and i will let you know.

I'm not long back..so can give you up to date prices we paid for trips if you want to know. :T

The pools at Xel-Ha are NOT massive at all !!! The dolphins do seem content, these are rescue dolphins there WHO would not survive in the wild. You'll see it all when you go anyways.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dblue75 wrote: »
    Been to Mexico/Cancun numerous times.... DO the dolphins at Isla Mujeres !!!! Stunning and much bigger area in the sea for them. Trust me on this !!!

Xel-Ha is brill !!! every time we go to Mexico we go there !!! full day all inclusive and a great sleep when you get back.

As for booking. Wait until you get to Cancun, you will get it cheaper(don't book with tour reps) OR on line.

If you want to know anything OR where to book the trips once there ??? feel free to contact me(some sellers are timeshare linked) and i will let you know.

I'm not long back..so can give you up to date prices we paid for trips if you want to know. :T

The pools at Xel-Ha are NOT massive at all !!! The dolphins do seem content, these are rescue dolphins there WHO would not survive in the wild. You'll see it all when you go anyways.

I agree with dblue75 - about where to do the dolphin swim & going to Xel-Ha for the day.
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    Thanks all for input.

I think we will try and do Xel Ha Xcaret and Xplor... be tough but each one seems too good to miss :). We are staying at an all inclusive hotel.. but we got the holiday through tesco deals so dont feel too obliged to stay there all the time...

This is our plan of things to do :P

Ruins
    - Coba
    -Tulum (maybe
    -Chitzhen Itcha

Shopping/Visiting
    Cancun/5th Avenue in playa

'Eco - parks'

Xcaret
    Xplor
    Xel Ha (if time permits but will prob get the 3 for 200 USD deal)

Activities
    Swim with Dolphins (try and do this at Isla Mujeres as it looks nice for a day trip as well)

So if each is one day thats 8 or so days of activities and 14 days to do it in :P. Also the Xcaret/Xplor and Xel Ha have to be done within 1 week of one another.. but that shouldnt be too much of a problem.. Prob do something like Xcaret.. then Xplor couple days after then Xel ha 2 days after that. intermingled with other things.

Cant wait to go but in terms of seeing stuff i think this is our 'order'

1. Coba (big pyramid you can walk up supposedly)
    2. Xcaret
    3. Swim with Dolphins (never done it before)
    4. Xplor (new park... combines ziplines, 'mini ATV' vehicles and cave swimming.. which is cool
    5. Shopping in Cancun and playa.. obviousls pick up some memories
    Last. Xel Ha, Chitxhen Itcha and Tulum

Is Chitzhen really worth going to? also as its a long way away... anyone have any info on it? i.e. good sourvenirs there? good view or is just one big pyramid (coba is higher and can walk up)... did you have time to swim in cenote?...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I really enjoyed Tulum - it's very pretty and has spectacular views as it's right by the sea.
    I think (but may be wrong) that we did this on the same tour as Xel-Ha.

Coba is impressive but is not as 'renovated' as Chichen Itza.
    Yes, you can walk up it - or could when we went in Nov 2006.

For me, Chichen Itza is a 'must-see'.
    The whole site is massive, it's not just the ziggurat that you tend to see in photos (El Castillo).
    Take a look at this for more info:
    http://www.chichenitza.com/

It's one of the most impressive sights I've seen, ranking with the Pyramids, the Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Warriors.

When we first went in 1991 you could climb up to the top but in 2006, you couldn't.
    May be worth checking out the current situation.

Be warned, it's STEEP!
    The steps are very narrow and the risers are high.

If you're staying on the 'Hotel Zone', there are lots of cheap, regular local buses that go from Downtown Cancun to the end of the Hotel Zone - somewhere around the Westin Hotel I think.
    A very good way to get around.
    I'm sure you'll have a fab holiday.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Xel ha:-
    Definietly buy your bio degradeable sun cream before you go as expensive on site. Also take a T shirt to wear in water if you don;t want to wear teh sun cream.
    Do the snorkel swim down the river early on as can get a bit cloudy later on

Didn;t do the dolphin swim, but you can seim in the larger pool next to them just the other side of the fence in the water for free

Tulum is usually done on same trip as quite nearby

Very cool place
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 April 2010 at 6:47PM
    We did trips through www.playa.info and really enjoyed them. We did the Chichen Itza one and the Tulum one, and it was a mix of visiting the sites and swimming in cenotes. They were excellent value for money and we really enjoyed our days out with them.

We did Chichen Itza as we have children and it's the one they had heard of. They were fascinated by the stories the guide told them. The man we had lived by the ruins as a child and there was nothing he didn't know about it!
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport