PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared Ownership, is it a good idea?

Options

Comments

• lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    mikemessa wrote: »
    Hi Lizling, thanks for your feedback. The thing is I have the deposit money (just about) however thats all I have. So if I do get a normal mortgage I am left with zero in my bank account. Maybe I should wait a bit longer before I commit however there are some new builds near my area that I am really interested in and I am concerned it may all be sold by the time I save more money. Thanks

I was planning on doing this, but then got a few extra quid and even managed to get the deposit up to 15%.
    But TBH, the only other fees you actually need are the legal fees - mine were £800, and possibly valuation fees, mortgage fees etc - although it can be possible to add these to the mortgage.

Depending on where you are currently living (if its with parents), moving in can be done as and when its suits you (without Removal vans!), same with decorating, buying furniture etc. As long as you have a bed and a kettle and something to cook on, you'll survive in the short term!

Also remember that it will take you probably around 3 - 6 months from when you start looking, to find the perfect house, put an offer in and complete, so therefore depending on how much you can save a month you will have saved more by the time you complete.

As yu have the 10% deposit, i would not go for shared ownership, and instead go for fully owned, its much better peace of mind and easier to sell, better choice of mortgages.

There is also some 95% mortgages out there - but the rates are generally high and everything else needs to be perfect.

Alternatively check out properties with vendor gifted deposits (although this will restrict your mortgage availabilty too)

My advice - go chat to a broker
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • DizzyGherkin
    Options
    Regarding resale, we've just sold ours. Initially it is a bit of a palava, but its worked out well in the end. Usually you'll need to offer it back to the housing assoc first and they have a certain period to sell.

We had no interest via the housing assoc so after 3 weeks they released us from the agreement. We were then free to sell via an estate agent on open market. They valued the property a lot higher and we had an asking price offer within a week.

You're best though to check with the individual housing assoc as they may have different rules or processes on resale.
  • vivster
    vivster Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold mine last year.

It was a palaver getting it on the market as I had to jump through the HA's hoops. I first had to pay to get it valued by a surveyor, and pay for it. Then it took ages for them to take the photos and get it online. I had to let the HA try to sell it for 12 weeks, before they would let me try and sell it privately.

But I found a buyer a week after going on the market with the HA. I got a bit lucky, as the buyer was a good friend of my next-door-neighbour, so it wasn't really down to the HA's marketing efforts in the end, but c'est la vie. I was just pleased to have a buyer.

The HA took 1% plus VAT from the sale proceeds, and there were some other costs associated with the sale. £250 for a management pack, for example. Not sure that's much different from lots of leasehold sales, though.
  • ShortieHere
    Options
    I'm in a shared ownership place. I am glad I bought it. The combined rent and mortgage I pay is cheaper than a mortgage if I owned 100% and cheaper, and more stable, than renting an equivalent privately.

I understand that some people say that have struggled to sell it, but that applied to everyone, not just shared ownership. My neighbours who were NOT shared ownership, took a year to sell their property.
  • mic69
    Options
    i am new to this website and would very much appreciate some help.

Me and my partner of 7 years are looking to buy a shared ownersip house , however due to my partners bad credit listings only i would be able to obtain a mortgage.

we have our deposit and money for solictor fees saved up and i have been accepted by a mortgage lender.

Would i be able to put my partners name down as owning the house with me?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Jellybean_Jo
    Options
    Shared ownership isn't necessarily the best move for everyone, and is something you should only go into once you fully understand any terms and conditions etc. Don't let people scare mongering put you off...that happens a lot on here, usually from people who don't fully understand what it is they're criticising. If you can, avoid the new builds and go for re-sale properties.

I'm in a shared ownership apartment now, and I love it. The rent and mortgage combined is considerably cheaper than it would be as a private rental, or if I had a mortgage on the whole thing. I afford the payments comfortably, but as I'm on my own, with only one salary it would have taken me forever and a day to save up a big enough deposit to buy 100% of anything in my area.

Just do your research, and make sure you fully understand what you're getting into, and perhaps more importantly, what you would have to do to get out!

And make sure you know the difference between shared OWNERSHIP and shared EQUITY!
  • julieb1987
    Options
    As you're looking at a new build why don't you think about entering a Newbuy scheme? You normally need 5% deposit for this. Have a look on the development company's website or just call and ask them if they have any properties in a Newbuy scheme. The government's Newbuy scheme website is here... http://www.newbuy.org.uk/

While I appreciate that shared ownership is a great way to get onto the property ladder, I feel that if you have the money to buy somewhere outright, you should go for it. Friends of mine bought a flat under shared ownership on an interest-only mortgage so they had decent monthly repayments. However, they are now paying some capital and their combined rent/mortgage repayments are nearly £1000. Also, they are married and have a 2 year-old and are trying to buy a house, but they're struggling to sell their share of the flat.
    First Time Buyer: Mortgage Offered, Searches complete, Exchanged 21/12/2012, Completion 04/01/2013! :beer:
  • Jellybean_Jo
    Options
    julieb1987 wrote: »
    As you're looking at a new build why don't you think about entering a Newbuy scheme? You normally need 5% deposit for this. Have a look on the development company's website or just call and ask them if they have any properties in a Newbuy scheme. The government's Newbuy scheme website is here... http://www.newbuy.org.uk/

While I appreciate that shared ownership is a great way to get onto the property ladder, I feel that if you have the money to buy somewhere outright, you should go for it. Friends of mine bought a flat under shared ownership on an interest-only mortgage so they had decent monthly repayments. However, they are now paying some capital and their combined rent/mortgage repayments are nearly £1000. Also, they are married and have a 2 year-old and are trying to buy a house, but they're struggling to sell their share of the flat.

Personally, Newbuy is a scheme I would avoid. But then, I would be wary of buying a new build at all, with or without a scheme.

Buying a new build with a 95% mortgage to me just seems like an instant path to massive negative equity given that the prices of new builds are inflated anyway.

I guess this is just an example of why it's something that needs research as to what scheme is best for your individual needs.
  • julieb1987
    Options
    Personally, Newbuy is a scheme I would avoid. But then, I would be wary of buying a new build at all, with or without a scheme.

Buying a new build with a 95% mortgage to me just seems like an instant path to massive negative equity given that the prices of new builds are inflated anyway.

I guess this is just an example of why it's something that needs research as to what scheme is best for your individual needs.

I agree, as I would also avoid a new build. We are in the process of buying our first place and it is an ex Local Authority house which is very well built and has huge rooms costs a lot less than a new build. It's just the OP was talking about wanting a new build so thought I'd throw the idea in there.
    First Time Buyer: Mortgage Offered, Searches complete, Exchanged 21/12/2012, Completion 04/01/2013! :beer:
  • Jellybean_Jo
    Options
    julieb1987 wrote: »
    I agree, as I would also avoid a new build. We are in the process of buying our first place and it is an ex Local Authority house which is very well built and has huge rooms costs a lot less than a new build. It's just the OP was talking about wanting a new build so thought I'd throw the idea in there.

I would love to have been able to do that...new houses just don't have any character in my opinion. Where I live, nearly everything is new(ish) unless it's in one of the run down areas, or older villages on the outskirts; with a hefty premium to go with it! I'm envious :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure