How much for a plumber to change my bath taps?

I have just changed the taps on my basin. The bath is a bit trickier in terms of access and getting it nicely sealed up after. I already have the new taps - how much do you think a plumber would charge to change the bath taps?

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi lipidicman,

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to move this over to In my Home as there are a couple of helpful plumbers who regularly answer queries on that board.

Pink
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not try it yourself? I did it myself recently and though it was a bit awkward managed to sort it now worries and saved myself a few pounds in the process.

Sorry just re-read your post, you might be pushed to get a plumber to do a small job, might be worth asking if someone will do it as a foreigner doubt they would ask for much though.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    might be worth asking if someone will do it as a foreigner doubt they would ask for much though.

Didnt quite follow this....

I might try it again myself, as I said I did the basin taps, but the bath is very awkward and the backnuts just dont want to move. I am getting better with my new sink wrench (I have the fixed and the claw head type). Im not sure if WD40 is much help on a plastic backnut! Any ideas?
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Plumber here .
    Changing bath taps can be a bit tricky if there is no room to get in. Assuming its a plastic bath ( almost impossible on a cast iron one)and fairly new I think £70 would be a fair price, if you supplied the taps.( plumbers seem cheap round here )
    Usually it possible just to change the tap heads and the bodies and much much easier so try this first if the "spout" part of the tap is ok .
    If you do try yourself look to see if the taps have been put on with a yellow jointing paste , if this is the case and the paste is in the threads forget it as you will never get them off.
    Watch the tap spanner does not slip off and go through the bath ( i did this once) .
    Like I say, try repairing the old taps if poss.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lipidicman wrote:
    Didnt quite follow this....

I might try it again myself, as I said I did the basin taps, but the bath is very awkward and the backnuts just dont want to move. I am getting better with my new sink wrench (I have the fixed and the claw head type). Im not sure if WD40 is much help on a plastic backnut! Any ideas?

Disconnect the water pipes from the taps completely, so you don't damage them in the process of getting the taps off.

See if there is movement in the taps themselves, twist them from side to side. If they move, get someone to hold the wrench on the nut, while you move the taps.
    This is assuming you have a plastic bath and not the old cast iron bath where the taps fit into a square 'hole'. If it's the latter, then a different approach is needed.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What area do you live in?
  • lipidicman
    I'm in hampshire.

The taps are a mixer tap, so you cant twist from the top (this is what i did with the basin). There are a few problems with them - I cant change the cold tap washer as somebody has pretty much rounded the nut off! I think this precludes me repairing the tap body (ie leaving the spout) The other problem is that the water from the shower leaks around the tap and goes under the bath. Finally, turning on the hot tap is a nightmare, you have to twist it back and forth to get it on fully for a shower. I changed this washer, but it hasnt helped (knackered thread maybe?)

Great advice about not breaking the bath - I'll be careful, that would be a real mare! I'm going to have another look at it later this week

I think the tap will come away from the pipe OK, the basin joints were easy. Does anyone have any advice about lubricating the plastic backnut to ease it off - I assume WD40 is bad for plastic threads!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi
    I do not think that WD40 can make any harm to plastic. However, if the nut does not move because of some paste (as bestyman supposes) or calcium, I'd try to use some solvent for the former or descaler for the latter.
    After all if it is plastic why don't you want just to break it?
  • lipidicman
    Descaler hmmmm? Vinegar to the rescue again!
    I dont mind breaking the nut, I just dont want to melt it in place with solvents!

I dont think there is any paste on it - so I'll have a go
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We're having to replace our whole bath because of this, we literally have the worst case scenario, running tap which is beyond all help, cast iron bath, tap rusted to the underneath and no room whatsoever to get in at any angle. We had one plumber arrive, he took the panel off, came to find me and made an excuse to leave suddenly and we never saw him again :(

Our house is going on the market soon so we are going to have to get this done ASAP :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family