PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

..and look like a baker's scone?:confused:

I have been making scones for years, (using my gran's bero recipe book) but they always come out quite hard and don't rise very much. I have tried cheap flour, top of the range flour, margarine, butter, sugar/caster sugar but still no success.

My dad says his mum's secret was to be as light fingered with the mix as possible, but I still fail :o

Any tips/advice?

And also, is it possible to bung all the ingredients into the sd253 BMaker to mix up the dough?

fluffynit

Comments

• abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    I'm sure my Grandma used to add a teaspoon of baking powder to hers. They were yum, yum. Don't do much baking myself though, so have never tried it.

Hope this helps

Rebecca x:rotfl:
  • SoScrooge
    SoScrooge Posts: 370 Forumite
    Yes, baking soda is best. I use half a tsp of baking soda and some lemon juice/raspberry vinegar (5 drops, no more).

Another tip is if you use eggs, separate the whites and whisk them before adding in. This trick works wonders on my pancakes and crêpes.

HTH
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When you cut them out, DON'T twist the cutter - just push it straight down, lift it up and pop the scone out.

I agree with the 'being light-fingered' tip.

Let us know how your next batch turns out. :D
  • dragonsoup
    dragonsoup Posts: 511 Forumite
    Scones I can do... It is absolutely essential to get as much air into the mix as possible during the rubbing in bit and keep it as cool as possible. I use the food processor and actually shake it gently whilst it's processing. Adding a bit of baking powder helps as well.

Be very gentle when mixing in the liquid, use a metal spoon (or the food processor) as it "cuts " through the mix much better than wood and stop as soon as it is blended. Roll out using gentle pressure.

I wouldn't even consider using a breadmaker. It is designed to work with yeast risen doughs and I suspect the resulting scones would be leaden.
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    you have to keep the scones quite thick when you roll them out if you make them thin they wont rise
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    When you cut them out, DON'T twist the cutter - just push it straight down, lift it up and pop the scone out.

:D

TM is totally spot on with this advice - it transformed my non-rising scones when i switched to this method.

good luck- can we have a taste :T
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914
    First Post
    Forumite
    I usually cut mine at least 3/4" thick, sometimes 1", otherwise they don't seem to rise at all.

~Lynn ;)
    :happylove
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I get the best results when I use milk that has "turned slightly" I know the idea sounds yukky but the scones are lovely and fluffy! It is the way my Mum used to make hers. If milk goes off in this house then everyone knows that scones will be on the menu!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    catznine wrote:
    I get the best results when I use milk that has "turned slightly" I know the idea sounds yukky but the scones are lovely and fluffy! It is the way my Mum used to make hers. If milk goes off in this house then everyone knows that scones will be on the menu!

Some vinigar in the milk and leave it for 15/20 mins will have the same effect.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    This is the recipe I use. Make sure your oven is hot. light fingers is a must and make the scone mix quite thick when cutting.

This is the basic recipe that can have sultanas, cherries, apple and cinnamon added to it.

2 cups plain flour
    1 heaped teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 pinch salt
    1/4 cup margarine
    1/8 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    2 tablespoons milk

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
    Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough milk to mix to a soft dough.
    Turn onto a floured surface, lighty knead into shape about 1 to 1 1/. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet.
    Brush with milk to glaze.
    Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter or clotted cream and jam.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure