PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!!

we have 2 wheelie bins 1 for recycling waste and 1 for other non recycable (plus boxes for papers/ metal / bottles). our non recycle bin is literally crawling with maggots, and you can hear them from the outside rustling in the bags with its lid down!!! yuck yuck.

anyway how do i rid the bin of these, as the council will be collecting them late next week, i have cleaned the bin last time it was collected (9 days ago) with the power washer, and i dont suppose the heat has helped. everything in the bin has been bagged, but a fat lot of good that has done. can someone help me they are now crawling out of the bin onto my patio.
Give blood - its free

Comments

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think I would be inclined to pour boiling water from the kettle onto them. If you don't think that would be enough water then fill a few saucepans with water, and boil them up and pour all of them into the bin in quick succession, ensuring each maggot gets a roasting.

Sorry, it's vile advice I know, but I don't think it is any worse than poison etc.
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    done this tonight it just seems to have attracted them to crawl out more. hopefully a flock of birds will feast on them tomorrow morning
    Give blood - its free
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When your wheelie bin has been emptied no need to wash it out just sprinkle in 1 mug of SALT and that kills all the nasties and keeps it smelling sweet.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you considered composting all your vegetable waste? And there are composter thingy's now that you bury part way into the garden so that you can compost meat wastes (Green Cone?) with no problems too.

Check your Local Council's website, look for recycling, because many now do great deals on compost bins in order to help avoid land fill.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have you tried phoning the council, telling them that your bin wasn't emptied even though you put it out on the last collection date (or say, not emptied properly?) and that the remainign waste has led to a maggot problem that is now a health hazard. I did this when they didn't pick up my black bags one week and they came and collected it the same day!
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    in response to squeaky's thread - i do already compost the veg cuttings / tea bags anything really that can go on the compost heap, i would not realy consider burying meat as we have a fox problem round here and they just set off the dog in the middle of the night, who inturn starts the dog off next door... and so on....

no need to contact the council the bin is only collected fourtnightly, so they have not missed the collection, on the alternative week they collect the cardboard / glass / foil and aluminium, the only bin which has the problem has the household waste which cant be recycled..(and i do make a reasonably good effort to recycle) .anyway we think we know the source of the maggots.....hubby put in the bin a dead animal that he found in the garden with its head chewed off...more than likely the lovely fox........lovely glad i didn't see it.
    Give blood - its free
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've nothing helpful to add, just... uuuurgh. Really uuuurghh. Disgusing. _pale_ _pale_ _pale_
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hmmm, I'm not looking forward to October when our bin collection changes from weekly to fortnightly!

Stompa
    Stompa
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Tell hubby he can live in the bin with the next dead animal he throws in there! :)

So with luck this will just be a one off problem then? I'd be inclined just to leave the lid open now (unless the wind is blowing your way?) and let nature take its course. Maggots are remarkably effective at cleaning up stinky corpses given a chance.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OMG this is so much worse than I understood from your first message! Bad hubbie for putting a carcass in the bin, I think his reward should be scrub and rinse the bin out after it has been emptied to ensure all eggs have been removed. (Then tell him about Grunnie's salt advice once he has finished.)

I'm sorry my earlier advice didn't work, I feel terrible that the water made the maggots all the more lively and did nothing to solve the problem. Poor you, this sounds like a stomach churning nightmare. Could you phone the council anyway and explain the problem - if you don't ask they definitely won't come and collect. Don't mention about the dead animal though, in case they are one of the councils who don't allow animal remains to be put in the household waste.

Sorry again for my duff advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport