PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick response please-would you eat sausages 2 days out of date?

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Sausages are obviously made from minced-up [STRIKE]meat[/STRIKE] stuff.

The problem with minced stuff is that is has a very large surface area compared to, say, a pork chop.

This means there is more surface area which could have bacteria on it when the sausage was made.

So, a manky sausage is quite risky, particularly as they often don't get properly cooked in the middle...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • lbt_2
    lbt_2 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Hi Peakma

Out of interest, what did you do with your sausages?
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    lbt wrote: »
    Hi Peakma

Out of interest, what did you do with your sausages?

Maybe the lack of reply is because they are all fighting over the icky bucket.. lol..

I'd have eaten them.. They have to put a certain time on food because of the type of stuff they contain they always have a few lieu because people know they'll be eaten days after their 'date' and usually they say 'best before' date.. it doesn't mean they are inedible after that date it means they are at their best until then.. and you get a few days/weeks/months after which they are still edible just not in their prime.. when they say.. 'if you eat this after this date you will be sick as 3 parrots' THEN I'll take note!

ok.. so I fed the children custard last month which was 14 MONTHS past it's date.. noone died, noone was even sick and it even tasted like custard!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • If the sausages have been kept in the fridge there is no reason why you shouldn't eat them, they will be fine.

:T
  • *Idly wondering how Peakma is feeling today...* ;)
    DFW no.554 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :T
    DAVID TENNANT CAN PROBE ME WITH HIS SONIC SCREWDRIVER ANYTIME...:A
    FLYING THE FLAG FOR THE CAMBRIDGE BOOTS TARTS :happyhear
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    GreenNinja wrote: »
    If the sausages have been kept in the fridge there is no reason why you shouldn't eat them, they will be fine.

:T

assuming your fridge is actually cold enough, the could be...
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    withabix wrote: »
    Sausages are obviously made from minced-up [STRIKE]meat[/STRIKE] stuff.

The problem with minced stuff is that is has a very large surface area compared to, say, a pork chop.

This means there is more surface area which could have bacteria on it when the sausage was made.

So, a manky sausage is quite risky, particularly as they often don't get properly cooked in the middle...

just to add to this.bacteria in meat is mainly on the surface.
    so you have a whole strip fillet and all the bacteria is on the outside.
    you then cut it into fillet steaks and the bacteria is spread to the cut sides.
    so when you mince meat the bacteria is mixed right through the meat.

i eat out of date stuff all the time though,just to use a bit of common sense for people especially with things like sausages.
  • I think we should maybe start to worry about peakma, she hasn't posted since this thread:confused:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply! fear not we all ate them and survived with out any illness.
    (although I went out last night,and left the family at home, to see a band in a pub,drank too much and did end up chucking up -not exactly moneysaving!-so feel rather rough today!)
    I don't take any notice of use by dates on fruit, veg etc.But never really know how rigidly to stick to meat guide lines,my sense of smell isn't great,and once you've started to wonder if it is or isn't o.k it always tastes wrong even if its fine.Usually I'd probably just bin it rather than run the risk of everyone being sick and feeling unwell,but we had nothing else in and they were expensive ones!
    I was really wondering whether to just bin them,I was pretty annoyed at Tesco for them having such a short life span,seen as they wanted eating two days after buying.Not as bad as some I got from Aldi a few weeks back,I went to get them from the fridge,and the bag was all swollen up,looked at the date and they were actually a week out of date when I bought them!! Still a bit annoyed with myself for not complaining,but just thought theres no way I could prove it!

So is there a there another similar thread on food hygiene? another thing I'm never sure about is why you cant freeze something twice? so for example ,if I defrost some chicken,cook a curry,can I freeze the left overs or not?
  • Meat from the butchers doesn't have a sell by date, so what's the guidance there? :confused:

I often have sausages from my butcher in the fridge for a week and they've been just fine.

I think you do need to be a little careful with the sausages you buy in the supermarket, as they are already several days old when you buy them - I probably would't keep them for a week after I'd bought them. I'd apply the same test though - if they smell fine raw and taste fine cooked, then they're probably OK.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure