The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

ESA Medical...points?

I was just wondering do they use the points system when you attend a medical for ESA?

My husband is on IB and with all the changes thats happening he will no doubt have to go for a medical with the change over to ESA, was just wondering if its the same point system they used for IB, think you needed 15 to pass, or do they use another method to assess you now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Here is an introduction to ESA on the Direct gov website. ESA is quite different to how IB is assessed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/esa/index.htm
  • Thanks for the link Jowo.

I've been reading up about ESA but still can't seem to find if they actually use points for certain questions or if they use another method now.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Yes, points are awarded. Here is a link to the descriptors.

There are 3 possible ways to pass this test:
    - Some people are treated as having limited capability for work because they have a specified condition or are undergoing specified forms of treatment. If none of those apply:
    - They have to score 15 points under the points based assessment. Or
    - If certain exceptional circumstances apply a person can still be treated as having limited capability even if they do not score 15 points.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_esadescriptorshome
  • Jowo wrote: »
    Yes, points are awarded. Here is a link to the descriptors.

There are 3 possible ways to pass this test:
    - Some people are treated as having limited capability for work because they have a specified condition or are undergoing specified forms of treatment. If none of those apply:
    - They have to score 15 points under the points based assessment. Or
    - If certain exceptional circumstances apply a person can still be treated as having limited capability even if they do not score 15 points.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_esadescriptorshome

This was exactly the type of info I was searching for.

Many many thanks Jowo, your a star!
  • alexandrajj
    alexandrajj Posts: 121 Forumite
    So you have to score at least 15 points to get ESA bu how many do you need to get put into the support group of ESA please?

TIA
  • alexandrajj
    stazi wrote: »

Thank you Stazi. So if it's 15 points for the support group, how many points to get put inthe work related group? How many points to be put-on JSA?

TIA
  • bertiebat
    bertiebat Posts: 310
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 April 2011 at 8:29PM
    Thank you Stazi. So if it's 15 points for the support group, how many points to get put inthe work related group? How many points to be put-on JSA?

TIA

Stazi's post is misleading on this. It's 15 points to get ESA at all, but the criteria for the support group is not points based.

To get into the support group you need to meet the criteria for the Limited capability for work related activity test (included in his link).

JSA has nothing to do with ESA, but is another available out of work benefit and requires a separate application (and a requirement to look for work).
    Just in case you were wondering (some have)..... I'm a woman!
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite

TIA
    you need 15 points for either
    wrag or support group other critira has to be satisied to detirmin which group the dm will put you into
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/esa/DG_172032
  • alexandrajj
    I just want to make sure I have understood this correctly. You need 15 points to get ESA (either group).( Does anyone have a link to the full list of descriptors please?) however, to be put in the support group you need to score at least 15 points on specific questions (the limited capability to work questions)

Have I got this right?

TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family