Any tips to stop condensation on windows?

Any tips to stop condensation on windows please?

I did hear some suggestions last winter but cannot recall them now.

Thanks.

:money::money::money:

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good question.
    I cant have double glazing in our building, and I leave the window ajar evey evening but it was really bad this morning, but it is only ever in our north facing living room :confused:

I look forward to someone answering.
  • In the past I have placed a bowl of salt on the window sill, this has soaked up a lot of moisture but not all of it. We rent from a local housing association and they arranged for us to have some kind of fan/humidifier sitted into the ceiling on the landing this has helped top a degree also but my daughters bedroom sill has wet windows each morning.
    Fight for clean hospitals, C-DIFF takes lives :cry:

Baby number 2 due 27th March 2009!:j
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never been able to stop it completely when I lived in single glazed places.

Just found this- http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php
    "n Britain, condensation will almost always occur with single glazed windows. "

I use to use those condensation collecting things (can't remember what they are called) which you can buy from Wilkinsons and Woolworths. They have crystals in which absorb water and then you empty the water out. For some windows you will need 2 but for others you will need one and I found some brands better than others.

Right they are called moisture traps - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kontrol-Streamline-MOISTURE-TRAP-Condensation-Crystals_W0QQitemZ330177091146QQihZ014QQcategoryZ112579QQcmdZViewItem
    And I'm sure the brand advertised in the link was the one that I found useless.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    just fit a trickle vent,this should seriously reduce the amount of condensation
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Difficult to stop completely. Anne your north facing windows will be the coldest and most likely to steam up. Basically there are 3 factors;
    Heat
    Insulation
    Ventilation
    The warmer the air in the room the less likely it is to condense ( won't go on about dew point etc). Suffice to say that increasing insulation will help keep it above dew point.
    Ventilation is paramount as you've found by opening the window. Ideally you want a cross flow. Double glazing does help by roughly halving the U value.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Double glazing has no effect on condensation-its just that single glazing being colder will show it more.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have a cooker extract fan use it, it will stop damp air in house from cooking.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Heat, ventilation is the key, the hotter the room the more it can adsorb moisture.

Insulation helps but that isnt always practical, a dehumidifier does help as it takes excessive moisture from the air
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Double glazing has no effect on condensation-its just that single glazing being colder will show it more.
    Not strictly true Roddy. Double glazing does help to reduce condensation, by reducing the amount of heat lost through the building.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Difficult to stop completely. Anne your north facing windows will be the coldest and most likely to steam up. Basically there are 3 factors;
    Heat
    Insulation
    Ventilation
    The warmer the air in the room the less likely it is to condense ( won't go on about dew point etc). Suffice to say that increasing insulation will help keep it above dew point.
    Ventilation is paramount as you've found by opening the window. Ideally you want a cross flow. Double glazing does help by roughly halving the U value.

It is a deep bay window so I will try opening the top opporsite window and leaving the living room door open tonight to see if that helps.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure